Radial Tonebone Hot British

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Merelington, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Merelington

Merelington Member

I'm looking for a Modern/High Gain/Tube Like distortion pedal. This will be replacing my Sansamp GT-2 which I loved until I played it at gig worthy levels.

I used to play it with my fender twin's volume at about 2 or 3 and had the GT2 set to pretty much 12 o'clock across the board but boosted the low and cut the highs a tad. The switches were set to centre: hi gain: british. When I played with my amp's volume around 5 it became much to shrill and lost its tube like qualities. (it makes sense as this pedal was designed for direct-in recording)

I've been looking at the Radial Tonebone Hot British and wanted to hear what you guys thought of it. I wasn't too impressed with the soundclips on their site but like the clips on youtube.

A few questions I need clearing up
    1)How long does the tube last?
    2) If I left the pedal plugged in when i'm done playing would it waste the tube's life?
    3) Does it sound good at both bedroom and gigging volumes?
    4) Is there any other similar pedal out there in the same price range?

Thanks in advance!

2. 4styx

4styx Member

15v power supply.Years.Not worth worrying about.Yes,but they don't have near the tweekablity.Through a clean Fender amp they can't be beat as far as the JCM800 sound goes.Maintains your Strat's tone and cleans up well with volume control.Just my opinion!

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Have yet to play a Tonebone...but I really like my EHX Metal Muff for high gain sounding stuff, not really a "modern" tone however. Hmmm...the Emma Reezafratzitz gets good reviews for what you described.

Good luck!

4. Merelington

Merelington Member

4styx:
    Ah yes it is 15v...I overlooked the specs section in the bottom left of the screen on their website. Luckily the flatliner 6 i'm getting has the 15v option. Leaving it plugged/tube life is definitely worth worrying about as I wouldn't want to keep changing the tube every couple months. And, the fender clean amp response is great news as I found a couple of my OD's/Fuzzes sound more harsh running through my twin as opposed to running through the clean channel on my old JCM 2000.

ungarn:
    As for those other two pedals, after doing some standard research I don't think they're what i'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions though.

*I'm also now looking into tube preamps like the mesa v-twin and bad cat 2 tone. Some guitarists use them as pedals while others state that they are not to be used as stomp-box substitutes...why's that?

5. Goku13

Goku13 Member

The tonebone hot british has been my dirt pedal for my fender twin for the last 7 years.....awesome awesome sound!!!! Tone for days, and lots of EQ options! The only problem is the crappy footswitch that doesn't quite work every time once you have played it for a while. Kinda sucks when you are trying to switch from clean to dirty and the odds of the pedal cooperating are around 60% lol. I almost never play clean, so i just mess with the guitars volume knob to clean up, but for someone trying to do the nirvana (clean verse dirty chorus) thing, it would be rough...I hear they are always trying to improve their switches, so maybe they are fixing the defect in newer pedals.

6. Merelington

Merelington Member

Pretty much the only bad thing I heard about these pedals. I will be buying the newest model as I have connections with the company. If the switch fails me i'll just have to get it replaced. I would be using the bypass often as I jump back and forth from clean & dirty.

7 years is quite the length of time to be using a pedal. How does is sound at bedroom levels & gigging levels? A guy from harmony central who owned one told me the louder it got the less natural it sounded.

7. Merelington

Merelington Member

To those who own the Hot British, do you have any soundclips on soundclick or myspace?

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

the trimode is excellent

9. Chito

Chito Member

I've had the Classic for over 2 years now. It works great with the Fender Twin (I have the red knob version). I also had the issue with the switch last year. I contacted Radial and asked them to send me a new switch. I had the store where I bought it to install it for me. It took 10 minutes to replace it and I haven't had any issues with it since then. That's over a year now. It's my go to pedal. Things that I like about the tonebone are: it doesn't get muddy even at high gains and it is one of the few pedals that I have tried that responds to pick attack well.

10. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

i love my Hot British. Gotta have a clean amp tho.