Radial Xamp Signal Still too Strong

alivegy

So I have started exploring the possibilities of reamping lately but I'm still coming up a bit short. I find that the signal that I get off my radial xamp is still too strong, but not volume wise as that can be adjusted in a couple of different places more as it pertains to actual signal strength. My reamped signal is still maintaining the harsh splatty nature of a raw DI strat tone. I'm fairly certain that I am getting a good clean recording of the raw signal so I don't think that is the problem. This keeps me from being able to take a clean raw guitar track and boost it in the amp for dirtier take of the same performance, which is the whole reason I got the xamp to begin with.

Would one of their passive reamp boxes work better for me? Or could it just be a matter of running a longer cord from the box to my amp to naturally load down the box and knock some of those highs down?

SimonMorrison

How are you recording the original dry signal (equipment, signal path, sample rate)?
Where are you monitoring the re-amped signal?

alivegy

Strat into a couple of true bypass pedals into a radial switchbone. Output 1 goes to my amp and I record that as well, Output 2 goes straight to my Onyx 400f where I record at 48 khz and 24bit. The preamps are pretty neutral so I get a good take of the raw guitar.

I then output that channel into the radial xamp and back into the pedalboard and back through the amp. I tried taking the switchbone out of the equation but it didn't make a difference. I'm just listening to the amp. It doesn't break up naturally at all and it sounds similar to what happens if you run a lowz signal through an amp. The raw track sounds good and when I run it through a modeler like pod farm or amplitude it works well so I think that my raw track is good.

jmoose

To get a solid "proper" reamp-able track the straight up original guitar needs to see a DI box, not just line-in to the interface. That could be some of the mucky muck... also I've never quite heard/felt a reamp guitar track that sounded the same as plugging straight into the amp in the first place. YMMV but I don't really subscribe to the reamp thing for my own productions... only if the client twists my arm. The Radial stuff is great, so unless the box is defective there's some sort of pilot error, bad cable etc.

SimonMorrison

This could be a signal level or impedance issue.

The captured dry signal level needs to match the guitar's output level exactly: make sure the input on the 400F is at unity gain.

You may need to experiment with the signal level going to the X-Amp: I would start with unity gain, then gradually increase, using the level control on the X-Amp to adjust the signal hitting your amp.

The output impedance on the X-Amp is 10K Ohms - this may not match your guitar's pickups.
Try modifying the signal impedance by putting a pedal immediately after the X-Amp.
You may find that a buffered pedal helps - this would actually lower the impedance.

alivegy

I think that I'm going to try a couple of things. The input on my 400f is designed for guitars so I shouldn't need a direct box, but I do have the ubiquitous imp, so I can give that a shot. I also believe that I added some gain to the track from the preamp. Next time that I record, I'll try to capture the signal at unity gain.

Top Bottom