Radio Interference!! Help...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JingleJungle, Jan 24, 2006.

1. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Just turned to my pedalboard which I finished hooking up today.
    The wha (Teese RMC3) has just become a shortwave radio!
    What two hours ago was some hiss which I was trying to tweak away, now is full tilt amok.

WTF??????

It may be fun for some kind of x-perimental jam, but the thought of not being able to play it live ain't fun (regular stages for the regular Joes are notoriously and inherently noisy) :(

Can someone pls explain what's going on????

Thank you!

JJ

2. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

enjoy the radio until someone can explain what's going on.. :AOK

3. drolling

drolling Member

Have you sheilded the inductor in the wah w/mu-metal? This stuff apparently gets rid of RF interference and hum. There was a long thread here about how to do it and where to get the stuff.

Another source of noise is cabling. I've found that just moving them around a bit can work wonders. The power supply can throw off noise, too. I'd move that as well, if possible.

As far as playing out goes, all bets are off. My rig never sounds the same way twice - In some really funky dives I can only use my noiseless pickups, otherwise, the buzz' unbearable..

4. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

I had the same problem. What solved it for me was NOT using ac - I installed a 9v and the radio be gone.

Jet

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I've tried using only the battery - but the result is the same.
    Re. the PSU... I will try to move it (messy - but if it needs to go, so be it). It's the Pedal-pad unit, and it sits pretty close to the wha.
    Maybe that could be a problm, indeed.

JJ

edited to add: removed the wha from the pedalboard and unhooked from PSU - same result :(

6. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Try hooking up one pedal at a time, using the PSU. See if one pedal in particular is causing it. I assume that you're fine plugging straight into the amp...
    What kind of cables are you using on your board?

7. erksin

erksin Member

I would guess that this is your problem - move the PS as far away as possible and see if that works. Otherwise, you'll need to sheild it somehow like Drolling suggested - probably a good idea anyway...

8. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

If you're having problems with radio interference and not hum, then it's not the power supply proximity. That would only induce hum. Sounds to me like a ground problem. Either internal to the pedal or maybe a cable that has a bad ground. Check the jacks and make sure they are tight, most pedals are grounded through those and if they become loose it can cause a bad or intermitten ground, which would leave the high gain leads unshielded and acting as an AM radio antenna.

9. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hiya guys.
    I tried removing the wha form the board, then from the PSU. Nothing.
    The rest of the pedalboard sounds fine, even the distortion units which usually are prone to these kind of problems (ex. Fulldrive II). No problems (thank God) when plugging straight into the amp.
    Everything is cabled with George L, except the guitar lead and the amp connection, which are bog-normal Planet Waves.

Thank you for your help,

JJ

10. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

One of the many lessons learned from Spinal Tap: Don't play gigs at military bases.