Radiohead "Spectre" Theme (almost...)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WorkinSteamin, Dec 25, 2015.

1. suckamc

suckamc Supporting Member

YES!!! So cool. That would have been a great choice!

Oh well, free Radiohead song for us while we wait for the 9th album!

2. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Man, that is great. It's so atmospheric, it sounds so fitting and the strings are really bond like. As usual, they've knocked it out of the park.

Maybe they felt Sam Smith was was more relevant? Personally I feel that Radiohead are always relevant.

3. Felix Leclerc

Felix Leclerc Member

Probably thought the song would have more success coming from Sam Smith than Radiohead.

Radiohead would've been more fitting.

4. dre

dre Member

check this out... fits beautifully... incredible vibe.

5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'll be the naysayer here - more turgid, plodding crap from Radiohead. I guess Thom is still having writers block . . .

6. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

They missed the boat by not having had Portishead do a theme years ago. Still waiting. Radiohead was better than Sam Smith, but still pretty meh.

A-Bone likes this.
  7. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

Beautiful song.

I wish it wasn't so short.
    Definitely has a Pyramid Song vibe.

Also- i'm not sure they're the right band for something like this, as they play by their own rules and their music for the most part isn't exactly accessible and mainstream.

8. suckamc

^^^I agree that it's not as accessible. It would, though, have a certain staying power that an initial cash-grab like Sam Smith typically won't have.

Man, the orchestration in this one is pretty killer. I'm guessing the pre-release version that they pitched to the studio didn't have all of that.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  9. autonomous

autonomous Member

Sorry, I just don't get them at all./ My wife loves them so I give it an honest effort but I think he belongs in a class with Morrissey as being too self indulgent. Sorry.

10. monty

monty Member

very cool, I had no idea.

11. aram

aram Member

Wow what a beautiful song. Thanks for sharing. So lucky that there are artists out there bringing beauty into the world.

chrisjw5, rnm14, suckamc and 2 others like this.
  12. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

why wouldn't it?
    that's practically the main focus in the song.

Sam Elliot is simply more marketable and the new "it" boy.
    Radiohead aren't as mainstream as they used to be.
    The song isn't all that marketable either.

Anyway, as for those that don't "get" Radiohead, it's perfectly understandable.
    Thom Yorke along with many other vocal greats tend to be polarizing.
    I can't stand Morrisey's voice. It's whiny and melodramatic and annoying. You could say the same about Yorke too. For whatever reason though, his vocals don't bother me.
    On the contrary, i find them soulful, mysterious, sexy and haunting.

Radiohead have plenty of detractors, a lot of butthurt people who wish they'd start making albums like The Bends again.
    People seem to equate ambient, moody electronic music with elitism. Especially in their case because their music was very guitar-based.
    They moved on.
    It's not self indulgent. It's growth. Whether its growth in a direction that listeners enjoy is another issue.
    What's great about Radiohead is that they challenge themselves, their fans, they push themselves to try new things, constantly exploring new sounds.
    Repetition and formula is not their philosophy.

I think a lot of rock fans and guitar players don't understand that and are threatened by that so they judge them and label them elitists.
    No one has to like them obviously.
    But to call them elitists because they make the music they want and aren't bound to a genre isn't elitist.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

When I was at MGM, I wanted Sneaker Pimps for Tomorrow Never Dies. After I heard 6 Underground, it was a no brainer. My myopic boss went with Sheryl Crow. David Arnold wanted the kd lang tune.

The Radiohead tune put to the titles above is perfect. I used to tell my boss that you have to serve the film first, and record sales are secondary. He never listened. lol

Darkburst and suckamc like this.
  14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Not elitist, just boring. There are plenty of ambient and electronics artists who are exciting and interesting to listen to. Radiohead is not one of them.

15. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

It's a good tune. Fits the Bond mystique while not coming off as too derivative like pretty much every other Bond song they've used, to include the Adele one in Skyfall. I'm really surprised at how well it fits the opening sequence they went with, which was, in my opinion, the best opening sequence in decades.

That said, I didn't like the Sam Smith one at all, but it's a pretty easy call over Radiohead. It's much more straightforward and accessible, and in the end money talks.

16. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Radiohead lost the plot years ago. I used be into them, when their songs featured things like melody, harmony, rhythm, and riffs. Now it's just Yorke atonally wailing over a glitchy drum machine loops and synth pads. Great for relaxing the bowels, but that's about it.

firebird1999us likes this.
  17. suckamc

In Rainbows was NOTHING like that (although I, too, am tired of them doing that particular thing).

Much of that is Yorke's solo stuff and Atoms for Whatnot.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  18. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

19. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

A kazoo and jug band would have been better than the song they went with. Maybe even a nice polka would have worked better.