Ragin cajun in Princeton

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 3m3r5, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

I'm thinking of putting a ragin cajun in my '79 PR as I've seen a lot of ppl reccommend them. Only thing I'm worried about is in this review: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/the-patriots/Jan-05/422
    It says "The RaginÂ’ CajunÂ’s narrower treble emphasis gives it less complexity and shimmer on top".
    Has anyone experienced this? What are your thoughts on that statement?
    Am I likely to notice a difference in the complexity of the top end compared to the original speaker?

Thanks.

2. doc

doc Member

I think you'll find no problem in that area compared with the original speaker. The review is comparing it to the Copperhead in that area. If you want a more "vintage" voice and aren't looking for more output and power, go for the Copperhead, but if you want your amp to be louder and more detailed go with the Cajun. I've been impressed with the new Emis overall.

3. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

Thanks Doc!

Will the ragin cajun give me more clean headroom? My amp breaks up as early as 3!

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Try the Delta Demon. It sounds like a 12" speaker.

5. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

Is the Delta Demon as detailed as the RC? Will it give more clean headroom?

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I think the db sensitivity is less on the Delta Demon but it has a 2" copperwound voice coil it's rated at 100 watts and just has a bigger overall sound.

7. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I had a ragin cajun in my Princeton for nearly a year. Yes, I'd describe it as a dark speaker... I never really loved it, either with the princeton or any of about 6 other amps I played through it. It does have a lot of low end and good efficiency but I never got along with the eq curve of it....kind of dark yet harsh simultaneously. It currently sits in the closet. People love all of these newer Emi speakers.... I've owned about 6 different models and dont get what all the fuss is about. I far prefer my celestion, jensen and weber speakers.

8. doc

doc Member

The RC will give more headroom, and will be less dark sounding than the Demon. Ultravex, did you break yours in well? Not everybody likes the new Emi speakers, but for some they're great. 3m3r5, check the soundclips on the Emi website and you can compare for yourself.

9. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Yep, pounded hard for many dozens of hours. It did change a bit with time but never had what I'd call 'sparkle' up top.

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

i just put a copperhead in my '65 princeton non-reverb and i have to admit that i'm impressed. i went with the copperhead b/c i wanted to try something different and the price was right--i've got webers in my other fender amps.

it's not broken in yet, but it's got a lot of tonal qualities i was looking for--it's woody sounding, decent high end (maybe a little strident--hoping that smooths out with time), solid low end and nicely present mids. it's not nearly as loud as the weber 8f125 i've got in my vibrochamp, but it stays clean all the way to 10, as the princeton NR's do.

that said, i'll be swapping it for a weber 10F150P here at some point, b/c that speaker piques my interest. til then, i'm digging the copperhead just fine.

cheers,
    wade

11. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

+1

I like the weber 10f150

12. doc

doc Member

Webers are great speakers as well (I just ordered one). I've been very happy with examples from both Weber and Emi (I have a Swamp Thang, Cannabis Rex, and Lil Buddy).

13. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

Well, after listening to the sound clips on the eminence website I can't say I'm blown away... This clip, however, of the weber 10F150T is more up my street: http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10f150t.htm
    Think I'm gonna have to go with the weber, how does the headroom compare to the RC though?

14. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I have a Copperhead in my Princeton and it sounds great, plenty of top end but not harsh. I tried a Delta Demon and it was way too dark.