Ragin Cajuns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeNiteRail, May 6, 2008.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have a 2x10 Old Flame coming tomorrow with Ragin Cajuns. Am I going to get any speaker break up at all? Can anybody compare them to another speaker for me??? Any similar Webers, etc?

I am afraid that with a 40w amp those speakers are going to be too powerful for club use. I like the idea of a bit of speaker breakup...at 75w each that might not be happening.

I may end up using the amp at 25w instead...so then the speaker will be way too much...or will they?

2. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

Can't compare as you request but I do have one in my Princeton Reverb (12 w?) and it sounds great. Gettin better as it breaks in too.

3. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

What makes it great for you? Does the speaker break up at all?

4. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

The speakers max power rating is not the same as how early or late it breaks-up. For example: You could have a 100W rated speaker that breaks up sooner than a 25W speaker using the same amplifier. If you look at the Weber web page you'll see that you could buy many different speakers with the same power rating that have late, early or moderate breakup behaviors.

I had a Rajun Cajun/Copperhead combo in my Vibrolux reverb. It sounded good, perhaps a little too brite for my tastes but I didn't have the patience to wait till they broke-in and now I am wishing I had! I thin kyou should play with the amp for a month or so befor making any speaker decisions!

Good luck with your new amp, hope you love it!

P.

5. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks, P....I think that is sound advice. I just worry about going from what sounds good at home to what sounds good onstage. I've heard the Copperheads are brigher (not a good thing IMO), so maybe I'll be fine.

If anybody can chime in on speaker break up and the Cajuns, that'd be great.

Thanks,

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The Ragin Cajuns are pretty beefy speakers....they sound great, so don't dismiss them until you try them broken in, but don't be surprised if they don't break up as early as you'd like.

Something with a similar tone in a more vintage vein is the Legend 102. That is rated for 35W, sounds great, and will break up earlier than the RC's.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

I guess it depends on the amp. I've got Copperheads in a 2X10 combo and if anything they have more mids and are less bright than the Cajuns.

Agreed. The Cajuns have become my favorite current production 10's. I've got them in a Port City 2X10 and they sound incredible. It did take a few loud gigs before I felt like they were broken in though.

8. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

I love my Allen Old Flame 2x10, and intend to play through it for the the rest of my time on Earth. It's loaded now with Weber alnicos, but I am considering the Cajuns just because my favorite amp before this was a Blackface Twin with EVM12L's. Please report back with your impressions after you spend some time with your new amp.

9. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I have a 1year old O.F. with Rajun Cajuns in it and I love the way they sound. I don't detect any real speaker break up. They are pretty strong
    across the whole spectrum. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

10. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Which Webers?

I am hoping I like the Cajuns, but I do like speaker breakup. Maybe I'll have to get another 2x10 cab. ;)

11. Category 5

Category 5 Member

I would try the eminence legend alnico's 1028 i beleive, nice vintage breakup. Ragun Cajuns are very aggressive in your face speakers, don't think they would sound great in your amp if a vintage tone is what your after. got 4 Rajun cajuns for sale:).

DonR

12. AL30

AL30 Member

I run a '67 Bassman through a 4x10" cab with 2xRagin Cajuns and 2xRamrods. It's a great sounding cab. Break-up starts at around 3 on the volume but I'm not sure which speaker it is. The cab does have a nice smooth break-up, it's loud, tight and in your face. Part of this could be due to the closed back. Overall I think they're good sounding speakers.

AL

13. pula58

I have noticed a difference between how my Vibrolux (with Weber 10F150 and 10A125) sounds in my living room vs. on stage. In living room it seems too brite, on stage it seems just right. So, "too brite" seems to depend on the room more than I had imagined it would!

On another note: which is briter; the copperhead or Cajun? I had the combo and felt it was a bit too brite but couldn't figure out which speaker was the culprit!

P

14. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I agree about home vs. stage. At home I am always way darker than at a real gig. I've fallen prey to finding a "great" rig at home and then being totally disappointed at the first gig I bring it to.

Practice can be like that too.

15. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Don't forget the O.F. has a very good master volume that works the right way and will help tame things a bit. I wouldn't be too worried until you get the R.C.s broken in.

Tom

16. freeradical

freeradical Member

The Eminence tone guide pdf lists the RC's mid range shape as crisp its response moderate with the high end response as being aggressive. The Copperheads mid range "shape" is said to be warm, response aggresive and the high end moderate.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/tone_guide.pdf

17. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

+1 on this thought. I've had both RCs and EVM12Ls.. Both have huge magnets, large voice coils, high efficiency, and high power handling capability.

It depends on the amp/sound you are looking for. If you like your amp/cab to be a relitively 'blank pallet' with big headroom and/or a platform for pedals, or if you play REEEEALY loud, these would be good choices. Keep in mind that a Twin with 2 EVM12Ls is over 120 LBS! A Super with 4 RCs is probably around the same weight.

I really like the EVM12L in my --- no laughing now --- Blues Junior! It gives it a 'big amp' sound, and at only 15 watts, I don't really need the speaker to break up at all - it all comes from the amp. Yes, it's a 200W speaker in a 15 Watt amp... but it sounds GREAT!

But in my Weber 6A40 (this is a Super Reverb head, very close to an Old Flame), I tried the RCs and didn't like them. Perhaps for my level of volume and style, I need breakup from somewhere... at 40 watts, the Super is not going to breakup at the levels I'm typically playing.. So I prefer small magnet, inefficient, small voice coil speakers (Warehouse) in that rig.

18. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I agree. I played with the Cajuns for a great deal today. For my needs, they wouldn't be my top choice. I'll give 'em a couple of weeks, but I did put an order in with Weber.

I happened by chance to check the bias. One tube was way under at 24mA. The other tube was right at 30mA. I brought them both to 31mA and was surprised at the difference in tone. I also tried a 5751 in V1 and was again suprised at the difference. Don't know which I like more, but there is a difference.

I love the tone knob on the reverb.

19. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I have a 71 SF vibrolux with that same combo (CH/RC) and can't figure out where the brightness is coming from either. I tend to think it's the copperhead. Had the amp on 3-4 the other day and about fried my ears to death(earplugs, I know). The speakers have about 20hrs on them now and while I like them, they are way brighter and have maybe a little less mojo than the 35+ yearold oxford originals. I want something rounder if that make any sense. That weber combo was my next choice. Or maybe the emi 105's.:AOK

20. pula58

I Have the 10F150 /10A125 combo and it might have just a bit too much brightness and too early breakup. I think the 10A125 is causing it, and I might replace it with another 10F150, or a 10F150T or, Ted Weber recommended a 10A125 "S" for slightly later breakup and slightly less brightness compated to the 10A125....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008