• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Railhammer Pick Ups?

SlumFrog

Searched the forum but only one thread started by the same person recommending them to me in another tread.
So does anybody have one these pick ups, or tried them? They look really interesting and sound great on their video clips, but im wondering if its one of those things 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is' & why hasn't another company followed in their footsteps?

Id be most interested in the Anvil, but any experience or information on any of the railhammer pick ups would be sweet. Are they reliable?

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
They solved a longstanding problem for me. I play in Fripp's NST (C G D A E G, low to high) and couldn't get regular pickups to balance the low and high. The low C can sound like thunder and the top 3 strings can sound thin. This problem shows up to a lesser extent with standard tuning - I'm always trying to get more fullness out of the top 2 strings. The Railhammers balanced it all out and they sound great.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't tried the Anvil, but I've owned a Hyper Vintage set now for over a year and love them. I've actually got them for sale in the emporium if you're interested... and I'm only selling because I bought a set with chrome covers. :)

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
No experience with Anvil set but I got a Hyper Vintage set when Joe first released them. I have the Hyper Vintage set in a '96 PRS Standard 24, all mahogany, no maple cap. These Railhammers are very vintage voiced in that they are very articulate all across the range from hi to lo - no ice pick high end though, just very smooth when OD is applied - I use a Jetter Red Shift in Marshall mode most of the time, the Dumble side of the Jetter Red Shift is as smooth as can be too. I had one friend, a major TV series composer, liken the PRS with the Railhammers to a nice balance between a Tele and SG. In all Railhammers were designed to be clear and articulate in any wind, Joe paid special attention to the drop-tune players and there are many You Tube video's (yes the sound is compressed, but even more of a display on how articulate the pickups are if their tone survives web compression) and Railhammer has a lot of Anvil set Endorsers who's music can be sampled to better hear the Railhammer in the more aggressive wind, Anvil set. Good Hunting - I'm not changing that set out for anything else in that guitar.

SlumFrog

I'm always trying to get more fullness out of the top 2 strings. The Railhammers balanced it all out and they sound great.
Same here, thats why Im so intrigued by these pick ups! Thanks everybody for the responses, I think Im definitely going to try and pick one up.

Since I hear the 'Anvil' is comparable to a SD JB, what would you guys compare the 'hyper vintage' and 'chisel' neck/bridge pups to?

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
I have a HV in a Reverend Rick Vito Model. Love it...and I'm not an HB guy!
I have another with a Chrome Cover that will be going into another Reverend Guitar, replacing a P90.

Great stuff.

robertkoa

They look interesting.

I think they mean something in Morse Code.

But if they have great Tones...

Shane Sanders

I love 'em. I have a Hyper Vintage set in a Fender Showmaster and a Chisel set in a Steinberger ZT-3 which is tuned down to B standard. They are sweet & toneful pickups that deliver on that promise of more balance between fat/thin strings.

BUMP...

I've been on the verge (for a month) of buying a Hyper Vintage for the bridge, and a new Gnarly 90 for the neck for Reverend Bayonet, because the Anvil and the Chisel are just too hot for me...

Reading this thread helped me turn back to wanting those pickups, because for the last couple days I've been reading up about the toneful Dimarzio PAF 36th bridge and it's neck counterpart. I want to keep with the Railhammers, but I guess I'm a little gun-shy that the Hyper Vintage won't be much less hot than the Anvil is.

Anyone have/had experience with both the Anvil in the bridge and the Hyper Vintage there too? Would you consider a PAF 36th instead? I play out of a Traynor YCS50, and admittedly use most of the gain on the dirty channel, though I try for more VH tone than metal. I gotta change these pickups...they're good, but they're not for me.

benxiwf

I have a a set of hyper vintages in a baritone tele Joe Naylor made, a chisel and hyper vintage in a bayonet he customized and a hv and 2 gnarly 90 setup in a custom kingbolt he did. All are outstandingly articulate. The chisel has tons of attitude with clarity.

straylight2k

I have a chisel paired with a Rev PAF and it's excellent. Amazing clarity and balanced on each string. Also gives wonderful, chimey cleans.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Just discovered these recently, and was toying with the idea of putting a Hyper-Vintage in my Hondo Guitarlin (single hum), but I've decided to give a GFS Surf 90 a try. If it doesn't work out, plan B will be the H-V.

Multicellular

i am not sure exactly which versions come in the Reverend Sensei RA, but I continued to be impressed with how well they perform across the gamut from super clean to distortofuzz.

kwaping

Guitar payer
^^^ Same here, but I have a Kingbolt RA instead. I judged them based on their looks (METAL!!!!!!), but I was wrong. These are darn near perfect pickups.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a pair of Hyper Vintages when Joe first released them . I put them in an all mahogany guitar I built with a mahogany Warmoth neck and the tones and articulation and singing quality are wonderful . Very different than a standard PAF type pickup...in a good way..

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
i am not sure exactly which versions come in the Reverend Sensei RA, but I continued to be impressed with how well they perform across the gamut from super clean to distortofuzz.
I think Joe uses a chisel set in the Sensei...

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
Love this pickup, I have a chrome covered HV that will be put into the Reverend on the right. Gotta get it routed coreectly.

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
I've got rail hammers in my Manta Ray HB and in my new Sensei. A really great pickup. I've used the term articulate a lot, about the best way to describe them. I'm going to put a set into my Mira, I think they may be the missing piece for that guitar. The stock pups are a little weak, burstbucker pro's seemed too much, but a rail hammer hyper vintage might just do the trick.

hawes

I just bought a chisel that is going in a baritone this weekend. I will report back once it's done.

CC Overdrive

Bumpity Bump bump...

I have a Rev DA iii, it's really a great player, but I'm not 100% thrilled with the tone I'm getting on the bridge, w the stock pickups. It's just a little too muffled, especially on that bass end ( I really like the contour knob, but that feels like 60% of the action on the knob is unusable too me). I'd like to keep it all reverend, and try a Rail Hammer, specifically the Alnico Grand, or the hyper vintage. Anyone here have experience with the Rail hammers vs the older PAF style Rev used to use? Is there a difference? I feel like that's the number one beef with Rev's, and likely why the RH pick ups came along.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom