raindrops in G Maj

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by tedm, Jan 28, 2006.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

2. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Ted:

You are starting to have "key awareness". That's good. That's a big step.

Now, we GOTTA work on "feel".

First: You tend to not intonate well. You pull the strings sharp, so even though the notes aren't technically "wrong", in reality, they are because they're out of tune. This is especially true for notes you vibrato.

Second: try a clean tone for a piece like this. I thought I was being stabbed in the head with an icepick on this one! Part of that is the intonation discussed above.

Third: Learn the melody for this tune, it'll give you a clue on how to phrase when you're improvising. In fact, you would be well-advised to learn several real familiar melodies, like this one, perhaps "Over The Rainbow", theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless), etc.

When you have a known melody, you learn the notes, and keep practicing till it sounds like music. It's paint-by-number, but it's effective, because we all know what the end result should sound like.

Keep at it.

3. tedm

I am not sure what song this is, if it is the backing to "Raindrops keep falling on my head" then I know that tune, but I really can't tell if that's it or not.

About intonation, I think I need the Buzz Feiten system. My les paul does not have that. I do have some tuning awareness though, for example, I tune at upper frets now (5 and 12) instead of open, which meant I used to be playing sharp all the time.

4. Tyrone Shuz

Tyrone Shuz Member

Don't ask for help on intonation from anybody but yourself. It's your hands, NOT your guitar. I've never owned a BF system. I think an old LP Special I had had a PRS compensated nut, but I've got stock stuff on all my Fenders and PRS. What I'm saying is, any improvement you would see from the BF system is about 1/10 of what you would see with a lot of practice.

There's no money you can throw at this to fix it (well, auto-tune, but you didn't hear me say that).

I think the backing is the BJ Thomas tune (no, he didn't write it, I forget who did...Burt Bacharach, Kris Kristofferson, or somebody). Anyway, learn to PLAY some single note melodies with great feel and rhythm. Start EASY, like "Amazing Grace" or Christmas carols like "Jingle Bells", "Adeste Fideles", or "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", then hit "Raindrops", or a jazz tune like "All Of Me", "Autumn Leaves", "Cantaloupe Island", or "Wave". You might want to be VERY familiar with a great version of whatever you pick.

5. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

Why is it called raindrops in Gmaj when the tune is in Cmaj?

6. tedm

G is the relative 5th of Cmaj.

I therefore played G major scale quite a bit over the tune. As well as some 2nd minor (Am.)