rainsong?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by soulohio, Feb 13, 2008.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

I am thinking...why deal out cash for a mid range acoustic that is a crapshoot when it comes to the woods and really, buying over the innernet, and why don't I get a carbon fibre rainsong? I played one out in vegas and was way happy.

I really want a nive $1500 dollar guild but cannot find one to try out and Guitar Centre wants me to buy and then return. whatcha think?

2. waynebrown

waynebrown Member

Composite Acoustic sounds a lot better than Rainsong.

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

what is a composite acoustic? what brand?

4. ksuaggie

ksuaggie Member

Composite Acoustics (CA) is a brand of guitars. They are braced to sound more traditional, while the rainsongs are not. I've never played a rainsong, but my CA legacy is a thing of beauty. You can go anywhere with it, no special care required, and rarely goes out of tune. It doesn't sound exactly like a wooden guitar, but it does sound awfully good, especially plugged in.

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Carbon fiber guitars sound too good to me. They sound as good the day you get them as there ever gonna get. I much rather buy a wooden guitar that will get better and bloom over time. Make sure you play the guitar before you buy it.

6. bynt

bynt Member

Here here. I played several Rainsongs and although they're nice, I'd pick up a Taylor and think "Wow, wood just sounds so much better and it's only going to improve" whereas the Rainsong (again, they're nice but...) I found to be cold and then the realization that (as far as I know anyhow) that's what it's going to sound like forever.

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

I think it's a subjective thing. I happen to like the sound of Rainsongs and Ovations and have used the latter frequently both on stage and recording. If you're going to gig a lot and the Rainsong sings to you, get it. I think their necks are fantastic. I'm looking to get the Rainsong Jumbo myself when I have the $$.

8. royd

royd Member

I had a rainsong for a while. They are great for what they are - incredibly stable, impervious to the elements, sound good but not traditional, guitars. I bought it for a knock-around guitar but was never completely happy with the sound so I played it very, very little and sold it.

I haven't played a CA but would love to... the idea of a carbon fiber guitar that sounds more like a wooden guitar is great.

9. Compurocker

Compurocker Member

You will probably be quite surprised!

10. onemind

onemind Member

I have a CA Player GX, that I feel very comfortable with, the sound is consistently good, It may never 'bloom' like an old Martin, but I don't worry about humidity, leaving it in the car, playing outside, etc.