Ramble FX with an AC30?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, May 23, 2015.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

Anyone use a Marvel drive into the top boost of their AC30? If so mind sharing your thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

2. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

I do and the combination is fantastic to my ears.

3. Wagster

Wagster Member

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm on the fence with the Marvel Drive and my AC30. It can go from muddy to harsh in a hurry with my Tele. There's a sweet spot with it in my rig. It's kinda touchy finding that spot.

5. Wagster

Wagster Member

I just tried the Marvel Drive into the Normal channel of my AC30 and wow what a difference. It's sounds very much like a Plexi/Metal Pannel. I love the top boost channel in my amp but it hates MIB style pedals, the normal channel eats it up. The Marvel Drive just might be my favorite Plexi style pedal.

6. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

Nice!!!

7. feet

feet Supporting Member

did you buy it? i keep hearing the marvel drive is the **** and i'd like to give it a shot, but i stuck with the sl drive in front of the ac15hw (when i do that sort of thing) because all the little dip switches help. the marvel drive's (apparent) lack of flexibility scared me away. i jump the channels and generally play lower volumes, so its hard to find drives, and at times i even doubt the sl drive. i really like the sl drive in front of the ac4hw, though.

having said that, i found i preferred less compressed, more open versions of that sound. which sucks, because the vox is annoying touch sensitive at lower volumes, and you need that pedal's compression to compensate.

8. Wagster

Wagster Member

I own the Marvel Drive. I don't like it into the top boost channel but it rocks through the normal side on my AC30. It's less compressed than the SL and a little looser like a Plexi. Everything is so rig dependent so it's hard to say which is better for someone else. For me the Marvel Drive gets the job done when I need a MIAB.

9. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

The Marvel Drive is the "XXXX" in my opinion. I can't get enough of that pedal. I play an AC30C2. I run it through the normal channel.

Wagster likes this.
  10. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I think the TB channel on the AC30 is more finicky than the normal channel with OD and boost pedals generally. It does get harsh and muddy right quick. So often though, guys are used to using it and don't even think of the normal channel.

11. Wagster

Wagster Member

I modded my normal channel to have touch less bass and a little more air. Mine AC30's are older ones not CC's so they don't have the bright cap option.

12. feet

feet Supporting Member

so its the perfect pedal for me, it just doesn't work for me. that's a microcosm of my entire boost/overdrive/distortion into a vox ordeal in one sentence. :) but yes, it depends on what you got and what you're trying to do with it. my setup is a little less common than most.

this thead inspired me to swap the sl drive back in for the saturn v. still like it! it's very boostable either from in front or behind it, and it has enough gain and compression to work at lower volumes. i keep pulling it off because i think i can do better, and i do, but with too many conditions. the dumb old sl drive just tends to work for my general needs, whether i like it or not. were i playing super loud again, i might feel differently.

still want to get my hands on a marvel drive, though. for my non vox amp, if nothing else.