Ramshead bigmuff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by burningwater, Feb 23, 2006.

1. burningwater

burningwater Member

anyone have values or schematics for this, Id like to build one. my email is jay AT thevertigoproject DOT com

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

3. burningwater

burningwater Member

Thanks scotty but already tried the web and those urls. The one you posted is stock and Im specifically looking for the ramshead. The values are all similar but that one is known for sounding the best.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

That's kind of misleading when people tell you that. The circuit itself isn't all that different but there are a few component changes. Also EH seems to use whatever is on hand which can lead to different components in the same line of pedals. It's possible that one made today can be different than one made tomorrow.

As suggested on the schematic change the value of the coupling caps.

I worked on a friends Ram's Head and it had FS3699 (or something like that) transistors. The gain on these measured very low - right around 100hfe. You could sub any low gain, NPN, transistor and probably get very similar results. The Ram's Head was noticeably smoother than my NY Re-issue. However I did get close with a simple transistor swap.

BUT, I have talked to people who have Ram's Head versions with 2N5088 transistors in them. Those are much higher gain than the others I listed. That's why I said it was misleading when people tell you that.

If you're thinking of building one or modding a re-issue try socketing the coupling caps and transistors. Then you'll be able to tune to your tastes.

AL

5. MrSage

MrSage Member

The tone stack is usually the only thing that changes. Play around with those values until you get something that you like...you'll probably end up with something that sounds nicer than a Ram's Head!

6. moodog

moodog Member

Why is it that the triangle version is the one that everyone wants if the "ramshead" sounds better?

Umm, could it be hype?

And don't foget the joker.

7. burningwater

burningwater Member

Thanks SullenGlacier, you ROCK! Looks like there is afew different values in there. Ive got the board ready, Ill just swap out a couple of res/caps and see what it does. May not nail it with 5088s but close I hope.

Hey Moodog just personal taste I guess, I had a tri that I used for years and loved, they all just have their own character.

8. moodog

moodog Member

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

All I know is that you can have my Ram's Head Big Muff when you pry my cold, dead foot off of it.

10. master

master Guest

I agree with Al, I've been under the hood of many of these early
    big muffs, and they have constant value changes and different parts.
    It seems like they (EH) could have cared less about quality control
    and more about how to make rent. So trying to build say a rams head vs. a triangle is not
    as easy as it sounds. The one thing I have found to be a consistant difference (and is not always the case)
    is the rams head had a higher output volume do to that higher
    resistor value (on this schematic the 470k) at the end in the output stage.
    I will go on to say that the better sounding rams heads that I have heard have a
    .05uf after the diode clipping stages.