Ran 3 miles the other day, and my knees were killing me afterward

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by habanaerosmith, Mar 31, 2015.

1. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Sunday was the first nice weekend day in quite a while, so my wife and I went running. She'd run a few times over the winter, but I hadn't been running since December.

We were doing our normal 4-mile loop, but my knees started killing me after mile 3, so I walked the rest of the way.

2 days later, knees feel fine. Was this caused by not incrementally working up to the 4 miles?

Am I going to hurt myself permanently if I continue running?

2. m@2

m@2 Member

Yes, if you have not been running you really do need to ramp up. I've ran marathons etc. but when I went on longer breaks, I usually had to start at 1-2 easy miles and work my way back up. Assuming the pain has decreased a lot, you are probably ok to run, but definitely don't ignore lingering issues.

3. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

I think you have to think about it more as wearing the parts down faster. Running is very hard on your joints over time and has also been shown to age a person pre-maturely to some slight degree. I believe that's one of the reasons why elliptical machines are often used as an alternative method of cardio than stationary treadmills.

4. Fred_C

Fred_C Member

It may depend on the cause of pain. Look up ileotibial band pain. You usually feel that on the upper outside aspect of the knee. It can be excruciating, but there are things that can be done with stretching and a foam roller to relieve it. I just went through a bout of this and am relieved to be able to run again. If the pain is in the knee itself, from degenerative disease of the bone or cartilage, you may be doing damage by running on it.

5. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

yes, this is definitely it. quite a relief to find out it's preventable and not chronic.

I'll try the recommended stretches, and do a longer warmup walk next time, in addition to building up to the 5k.

thanks!

6. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

I am going to guess from your post you are from New England?
    I ran last weekend for the first time since January (and the subsequent 115" of snow), and I had a similar issues after my standard 3.5 mile loop. it's easy to do too much after being stuck inside all winter--you have to build back up gradually.

Good running weather is coming at least.

7. Mike H

Mike H Member

It depends on your age, weight, and if you have any chronic conditions like arthritis.
    Definitely take it slow, even if you are young and in relatively good shape.

8. Neer

Neer Member

Try to run lighter on your feet. Use the front half of your feet more--they call it mid- or front-foot striking, as opposed to heel striking. It does put a little more stress on your calves, so build up to it. I've learned through running longer distances that running lighter makes quite a difference in the wear and tear I experience. In fact, I experience very little. I am 52 and I am running 6-10/mi 4x week, at an 8:00 pace. YMMV

BTW, last weekend I had a cool encounter with a Cooper's hawk and this past weekend I discovered a bald eagle's nest with mom, dad and baby(ies). I love outdoor running.

9. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I run 2 miles every day on my lunch hour. I have lost a ton of weight and still have a big to go to get to my ideal weight. But sometimes I have to take a day or two off because of my knees.

10. davess23

davess23 Member

Are you running in last year's shoes? I've been a runner for many years and I've found that even if you aren't using them, the midsole in your running shoes deteriorates over time and loses its cushioning qualities. I can tell when my shoes are coming up on about 400 miles of use because that's when my knees start to feel the lack of cushioning. As soon as I replace them the knees are fine again.

I replace shoes at least 3X per year and I credit that with keeping my knees healthy over a few decades of running.

11. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

3 ideas:

- 15 min dynamic (not static) stretching warm up before you run.

- foam roll your legs before you run.

- start taking a collagen supplement, or cook and eat some bone broth; use beef shank bones and get all the jello-y bone marrow.

12. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member

Too much, too soon. Back off a bit and you should be fine in no time.

Good call!

Funny, my lower back tells me when to change. I get new shoes every 4 months. I put the date I bought 'em on my shoes so I know when they are close to going. Plus, often times they are the same model/look and I don't wanna take last years pair out for this weekend's long run...hehe..

13. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

My non achey recipe for running for what it's worth.

1)Great running shoes that are fit properly by someone who knows what they are doing. (Brooks beast for me)

2) not adding more than one mile per week to your farthest run

3) soft ground whenever possible

4) stretching immediately after and during if necessary.

I run 20 miles (give or take) a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Lots of running experts recommend interval running to novice runners and to anyone who is heavy or tall.

Running at a decent speed for shorter intervals lets you learn to develop proper running form instead of 'shambling' along for as long as you can stand.

15. gigs

gigs Member

Been a distance runner since I was in 8th grade. Some marathons, many halfs, countless 10Ks, etc over the years.

- Good shoes that fit the type of foot you have and your running style are essential. Lots of websites with more info on how to pick the right type of running shoe.
    - Don't stretch cold muscles, do a slow half mile or so as warm up, then stretch warm muscles before a run.
    - Build up mileage slowly, take a day off per week at least. Look at it as a life-long hobby, not something to quickly get in shape.
    - This is debate-able, but I am a heel striker and I believe it's the right way to run distances, then roll to your big toe and push. See Steve Prefontaine foot plant pics below.

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    That's why I quit running, my knees weren't liking it much anymore after about 15 years of it. :anon

17. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

How old are your shoes? Do you have ankle stability issues that could put additional stress on your knees? Are the shoes you are wearing designed to counter that if so?

18. sahhas

sahhas Member

stretch and build up your distance.
    good luck!

19. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I know that as you get older, and your muscles get weaker, you knee cap actually moves around more, causing damage to the cartilage underneath the knee cap.

Cartilage can also take a long time to heal. Put heat on it, not ice.

I learned all of this the hard way, doing exactly what you did, so you can learn from my mistakes.

20. XKnight

XKnight Member

Everyone has only a certain amount of miles available to them in their lifetime. It varies from person to person, but eventually everyone will stop running for one reason or another. I've been running regularly for the past 30 years and figure I might have another 10 -15 years left if I'm lucky. No major aches or pains yet, but they will come eventually as the body breaks down and old age kicks in.