1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Ran across an old Tube manul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

A friend of mine found some stuff in the back of a business he bought out.

First off a Basic Theory and Applications of Electron Tubes for the Army and Air Force from 1952.

Second a boat load of Tubes. I don't have the tubes yet but he said there was a bunch of 12AX7 and 12AT7's among others that I didn't recognise. Some were GE and Sylvania.

Cool stuff. Also there are a bunch of Caps and Resistors and even some Radio Mags from the 60's through the 70's. All kinds of stuff.

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'm SOO glad we're friends ;)

3. sinner

sinner Member

What a cool find! Stuff from the 1950s, in back rooms or grandpa's garage, is fun to go through never know what you'll find.

Anyone remember those old '50s kid's books, like "Meet Mr. Vacuum Tube" and "The Atom Your Friend"?

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Cool.

My uncle used to repair radios so I went over to his house a few years ago and he had hundreds and hundreds of old tubes in plastic pails.

I spent about twenty minutes ratting through them and found two nice looking RCA 6L6 blackplates.

I put them in my back seat and drove home. Then, when carrying my stuff back into the house I grabbed them and ended up dropping one on the driveway. Splatt! It was painful.

5. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Stuff like that happens to me all the time. I was walking down the street the other day and a million dollars fell from the sky and hit me on the head...
    WAY COOL G-MAN. If I have read correctly, older Syl's are some of the best 12Axx series out there. That's not even counting their legendary big bottle 6CA7 power tubes...
    Still need further updates on the SDG Ultra Flex 45....
    Sincerly,
    Your Second Bestest Friend (next to rastadude),
    BZT

6. uberpict

uberpict Member

Like manna from heaven! :dude

I'm on the lookout for an old Baldwin organ loaded with Sylvania's. It's fun to hit the salvage stores and open up the organs, most have been solid state so far but I keep looking. There's an early 60's Baldwin that Granny had just waiting for me somewhere. :D

The organ may be a jewel in itself, those old Baldwin's had great tone. One of my first jobs was delivering piano's and organs, nothing could compare to a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie but the older tube Baldwin's came close. If I knew then what I know now, sigh.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

There are a bunch of other tubes also but I haven't seen them yet. He sent a box full of stuff down with one of his workers. There are some big RCA tubes in there brand new but they aren't for geetar amps. He said there are about a hundred tubes all together some of which I didn't recognise.

There will be an update on the Ultraflex 45 shortly. I've been way down in Good Hope Ga on a jobsite and haven't had time to play it. I did pull a stupid one and ran the Amp with KT88's biased for EL34's. Blew a Tube,fuse and a resistor. Had to send it back to Steve for a repair but I got it back pronto

The chasis is setting in my back seat in a box. Soon as I get home gonna fire her up. Steve decided to totally redo the Bias Circuit while he had it. Now it has 3 sets of Bias Pots with bigger resistors. It has an even broader range of Bias Control now. I can pretty much run any Octal Power Tube I so choose.

I've seen a number of Amps with the ability to change tubes but this one has a different take on it. One can get the full potential out of any Tube with this circuit. That is the reason for the more complex Bias Circuit. Its able to dial in exactly for what's in there.

You would not believe what this thing sounds like with KT88's in it. Though it is a bit loud with them.

BZT you are right up there with Rastadude.

I've not been around TGP much its a pain to log on from my Blacberry. Its like having dial up internet everytime you do something it has to download.

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

We miss ya Reddude!!!

9. Cpt.Kaos

Cpt.Kaos Member

Hey Red Planet... you know when you hit the lotto..people become your kin you did'nt even know....You hit the jackpot on these tubes and classic parts...And all of a sudden...every one wants to take you to lunch...But Guys.. the way I see it...He can't possibly play them all...Sooooo..I think he should share....I played music with Red Planet when we were still in High School together..An we have been true friends for 25 years... I just had a birthday and was wondering what I might get...hint.. congrad's RP.. And wipe that smile off your face.. CK..

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

There he is. I know I havnt been around but I've not seen a PC for a week. I'm going to go into shock. :eek: :D

Share? Isnt that Sonny's wife?:D

I got all my stuff unloaded now I gotta get to bead. I'll see yalll tomorrow.

I should also say for those who read it my friend Rob's daughter Keylan is doing excellent. She got to go home from the Hospital and her Mommy said she is doing much better. Man I was worried about Her for a while.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

All righty setting in the Parking Lot at Panorama Apple Orchards in Ellijay Ga waiting on my wife.

Put the SDG back together this morning and got to Play it for a few minutes. Biased it up with a set of NOS GE 6550's with an Eminece Wizard in it.

Very Good

Gotta go I'll find the old thread or start a new one soon.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

OK so far I've pulled out 5 12ax7's and 16 12AT7's so there isnt as many AX7's as I thought though good AT7's are nice to have. So far I've tried out 3 of the 12AX7's and they all are good. All the 12AX7's are long Plate GE or Sylvania and none of the 3 I've tried are microphonic in V1 which is a good sign.

There is a bunch of Tubes I dont recognise I'll make a list and post the Numbers. One of which is a 5814 looks like a 12AX7 Anyone know what these are.

13. Gas-man

Pick up a tube substitution book and it will let you know which tubes can be safely swapped for what.

I just got one today for 3 bucks. It tells me that a 12ax7 slot can handle a 12DF7, 12DT7, 12AD7, 12BZ7, 12DM7.

Someone who knows more about this could set me straight, but this might help.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx GMan Where can I get a Substituition book?

I assume this 5814 is one of those you mentioned but does your book give the Military number?

I forgot to mention all these Tubes I have are Military Tubes they All have Military Numbers on them excepte a few. The AX7's and AT7's were easy enuff to Decipher but these others I have no Idea on. For example the 12AT7's are marked something like 6201.

15. Gas-man

The 5814 is under a special section called "Communications and Special Purpose".

It only lists other 5814's as replacements.

I would look on the bay for one of these books. They're pretty cool. I am hoping the guy I met today will tutor me a little on this weird world of tubes. I need a tester bad.

16. ZX-Matt

ZX-Matt Member

A 5814 is a military spec version of a 12AU7. P.S. This website is great for tube cross referencing. (12AU7/12AU7A/6189/5814/5963/7730/6680/7316/ECC802/ECC802S) http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12au7.html

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool thanx Z there are a number of those 5814's and a bunch more other numbers. I gotta go through all of them I'll check out the link.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

What about 5R4GY's? Thgere are several of these in there. Can they be used in Place of 5AR4,5U4,5Y3?

19. ZX-Matt

ZX-Matt Member

I don't know, but you could try using the TDSL (Tube Data Sheet Locator). Seems you can download the software here: http://www.duncanamps.com/tdslpe/ Or use this 'quick' cross reference: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Tubes/

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

OK I'll take a look at that I got 6 5814's out of the pot. I looked on that other site and couldnt find this one. Does anyone know what a 5687 is? Man there are so many freakin Tubes in this Pile I dont now where to start. Looks like most of em arnt for Geetar Amps though. There are a bunch of 6BH6's and those little bitty miniature Tubes. There is all kinds of crasy stuff in the pile.