Rand Guitars Is Back

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by todd richman, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Hopefully they'll tell Ed to stop making his copies of their guitars.

-Austin

3. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

...heavy metal...!!!
    I would also love seeing striped spandex trousers back on the stages.

4. Dave L

Dave L Member

Cool, I always liked the look of those even though I´ve never seen one in person. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that these reissues are going to cost a pretty penny, though.

5. todd richman

6. todd richman

Ah, Rand McNally! You should hang with my dad-same sense of humor!!! These guitars were fabulously made. They were neck through with amazing back contours and a heeless neck/body joint. Killer finishes on the originals that resembled the patterns created by Vari-Lites and great hardware plus that extended 27 fret 2-octave plus fretboard made of Pao Ferro. They were around $2000 in the late 80's when they were made. Rand Havener is from West Chester, PA and was working for Tom Anderson Guitars when he conceived his own models.

7. Rupe

Rupe Member

:wave

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. todd richman

Bill, great interview with Rand. Thanks for the followup as these great guitars need to be remembered for their place in guitistory and hopefully into the future as Rand tools up for new production instruments. You have an incredible collection, including 3 of my old Rands-they will always have a special place in my memory. Please post pics of your collection here.

9. Rupe

Rupe Member

:worthless

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. DarrenD

DarrenD Member

Rupe, those guitars are amazing. I love the yellow/orange and light blue/white. How did you end up getting a hold of so many of them? My dad used to have one back in the day, but sold it ages ago. He surely regrets it. I'm glad Rand is going back into business. The prices are steep, but hopefully one day I can snag one.

11. todd richman

Hey that single pickup non-recessed Floyd yellow/red one was mine also-that was the prototype that Vivian Campbell used in the "Is This Love" video.

12. DarrenD

DarrenD Member

Does anyone know the deal with Rand guitars now? The website has been up for a while, but no real information has been displayed.

13. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I have a black and white one that is beyond stellar, bought it on a closeout from Sam Ash on my last day living in New Jersey, I have kept it ever since. Remarkable guitar.

14. todd richman

Please post a pic. I remember seeing several at Sam Ash on 48th Street back in the late 80's.

15. DarrenD

DarrenD Member

A Rand registry has been started at randguitars.com - a fan site.

I still have a ways to go on kinking out the website, but there are updates. Anyone who has a Rand please contribute with serial numbers, etc.

16. Jz Guitars

Jz Guitars Member

I don't know, I can surely appreciate the quality but a little too retro for my taste. They do look fun to play, I'm just not sure if I want to be seen playing one. I am digging the 27 frets though.

17. DarrenD

DarrenD Member

Yeah the paint jobs are definitely a hit or miss with many people. There were some with custom graphics however, from what I've been told.

18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Their web site seems incomplete or abandoned. Any idea of pricing and how to purchase if interested? I like the 80s Hamer type pickup arrangement and love the graphics.

19. DarrenD

DarrenD Member

The company is still in the rebuilding process with a new line. They are tough to get a hold of. Use the email at randguitarco.com and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.