Randall (Egnator) preamp modules: Can they be used without their amp chassis?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mrCharlie, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

Does anyone know if and how the Randall (Egnator) preamp modules can be used as a preamp, by attaching an external power supply?

They are designed to be plugged into a Randall amp, but I would like to use one on it's own, without using their rack or amp.

Any suggestions would be apprecated.
    Thanks!

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

considering their connectors are proprietary, I really doubt it you would be able to accomplish that. Im sure its possible, but without schems and connection information it might not be feasible to do; without that information.

But either way, the preamp rack is only $639 if you already have the modules.

3. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

thanks...my application is to build a preamp into a very compact rig, so I can use it for smaller gigs.

4. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

If money isnt an issue, I would give Bruce Egnater a call and see if he can build you a custom enclosure to your liking. Im sure a single space two module rack wouldnt be a big deal for him to do.. or even a half space single module rack.

5. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

Thanks. I followed up and contacted Egnator company. Bruce wasn't there, but his partner was very helpful; a one rack may me a possibility.

6. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

They're going to produce one, it's called the E2. It's a one space rack unit that holds two modules, and it has a loop so you can use it with any head and switch between the e2 preamp and the heads preamp into the heads power section. It's not out yet, but it's in the works for the future; They had some prototypes I think, but they are working out some midi issues and getting other orders filled.

7. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

hey, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

I heard about the E2. Very cool. I have a one rack preamp now; my original interest in adapting an Egnator is to find a Fender-like tube preamp that's more compact than one rack space.

Do you have any suggestions?

8. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

I'm not really sure on a solution that's smaller than a rack space, maybe some sort of pedal or preamp in a pedal but I'd be the wrong person for that. If you go with the egnater though, check out the T/D and BMAN for your fender tones, or I think you may still be able to special order a DLX (which has no been replaced by the T/D).