Randall RM 50.. anybody using one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DeeDub, Apr 10, 2008.

1. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

I just grabbed one of these in the "Blem" section of Musician's Friend. Got what I believe to be a pretty smokin' deal, as well! I didn't realize they'll sell for less than the listed price on the scratch and dent stuff if you call them! [​IMG]

Anyways... if anyone has one of these, what do you really think of it? I've been wanting to check one out for a while, but no stores in my area carry them. I am leaning towards the TopBoost and XTC modules, but would like to hear some thoughts on what you think works best.

Hell.. with the 45 day money back guarantee at MF, and for what I paid for it, it's kind of hard to go wrong!

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

what did you give for it? Id love to have one with a 1086 module :)

3. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I have one. I also have an RM100 4x12 stack (XL cab) for bigger jobs. These amps are pretty outstanding. They're great for me because I play many different styles of music and have to have drastically different guitar tones in each.
    As far as modules, I have the Blackface, Ultra, UltraXL, SL Plus, and Top Boost. I love them all. The Ultras are a little noisy, but great for high gain stuff. The SL Plus definitely captures the Marshall grit. And the Top Boost might even be my favorite. It's supposed to model a Vox.. but I've never owned a Vox so I don't know. The Blackface is decent. I think I'd like to get a compressor to mess with that one a little more, though.
    In the past I've owned the Modern which I didn't love. And the Clean which was pretty good for jazzy tones.
    I haven't had any problems with mine. It even took a decent fall and still works perfectly.

4. ned911

ned911 Member

I used to gig with a RM50 head into a Marshal 4x10. Used a Top Boost that I modded to get a little cleaner and either the Randall Plexi or an Eggie SL module. The XTC is pretty badass too.

Check the KH modules or the Lynch modules as they sound really nice. The Brahma sounds like a modded Plexi.

5. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Wow! I had no idea that you could get a lynch box in a 1x12, very cool!

6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Great amps, just sold mine (I just didn't need it any more after getting teh Egnater MOD 50). Try some of teh Fender modules, Blackface, Tweed & Deluxe. For Marshall tones, The XTC, Brown, SL, SL++, Brahma, Plexi, JTM 45 are all very very good.

7. jgk62

jgk62 Supporting Member

I'm using a RM100 with 6L6s. I've got the Blackface, Plexi, Recto and XTC modules.
    I don't know if the RM50 allows you to try different power tubes, but that's what I love about the RM100. I'm going to put a pair of EL34L tubes along with a pair of 6L6 tubes and see how that sounds.
    Or I can just pull the fuses from either pair depending on which sound I'm shooting for.
    Let us know your impressions once you get it.

8. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

Ok... amp is here, and I've got Top Boost and Plexi modules on the way, should be here in 3 days. Will use the TB as my main clean and "barely crunchy" tone, and Plexi for medium and high gain (with a pedal).

I wanted to get opinions on cabs. Are the Avatars any good? For the price, they would seem hard to beat, unless they're just total dogs. Also, has anyone tried the Lopoline cabs? Another price point that's very appealing!

I'd like to hear your take on modules, as well. What's your faves?

:dude

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

I would pick Avatar over Lopo...be sure to check locally for big cabs as nobody likes to ship 'em...I bet an Earcandy, Port City, or THD 2x12 cab would rock with that amp!

10. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I had an RM50HB with a ton of different modules. I even got a hold of a JTM45 modded by Pete! That one I kept even though I sold all my MTS stuff... what a stupid decision! I just bought another RM100 and it will be here Monday so back to the sweet Fender/Marshall mix provided by the JTM45 and sweet, sweet 6L6 tubes!

11. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Oh yea, and I dont know about Avatar but they look great. Also, I have a LOPO 2x12 with Celestion G12T75s! Its not bad! Its actually built very well and I cant wait to here the Randall stuff through it!

12. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

The Matching Randall MTS 2x12 is on sale at Musician's Friend right now...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...120W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=601079

I am moving from a 4x12 to a 2x12. I was leaning toward Avatar, but if I went with their G212 special cab, it would be $332 shipped. The Randall is $349 shipped right now, and has a convertible open/closed back, Egnater designed (I've been told) mic eliminator, and mono/stereo operation, so I figured those extra features were worth the extra $17. Ordered it on Friday.

BTW, I have a RM50 combo, it's one of the 1st generation 1x12s with silver grillcloth and no reverb. I've been happy with it. Only gigged it once (bought it for home use mostly), it did okay, but that was with the stock G12-75T and 6L6 tubes. I've since swapped the speaker for an Eminence Governor, which was a huge improvement. Also, swapped 6L6s for EL34s, huge improvement there, too. All IMHO of course.

The two modules I've been using are a 1st gen Brown, and a blackstripe Top Boost. The Brown is a bit dark, I have a hard time getting the brightness out of it I want, and the Top Boost is tough to get as clean as I'd like. But they're both decent, I get good tones at bedroom levels. If I would just quit buying guitars I'd have some extra scratch to check out some other modules. :D

13. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

Thanks for the heads up on that cab! Just ordered one!:banana

I'm REALLY looking forward to firing this thing up. A nice, versatile and relatively compact rig... I have a feeling I'm gonna LOVE it!

14. Evil Sam

Evil Sam Member

This is my first post...so bear with me.

I use the RM100's in my cover band. We do 80's rock (Whitesnake, Skid Row, Motley, Slaughter) and the tone and versitility is amazing.

I have two heads loaded with different modules going into separate XLX 4x12 cabs (each loaded with 2v30's and 2 G12T-75'sin an X pattern). Head one has Blackface (clean), SL+ (gain), ULTRAXL (lead) and head two has Blackface (clean), XTC (gain), SL+ (lead). I have a GMajor fed into both parallel loops and the tone is monsterous.

I used the Mic Eliminator on the cabs for the first time live last week and it was awesome. No feedback, no worry about kickin' the mic over..such a joy to just go out and play and not worry about tone.

We're playing with Vince Neil this weekend in Minnesota if anyone wants to check it out.

15. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I have an RM100 and several modules. 90% of the time I use XTC for distortion sounds and Blackface for cleans. I have EL34's in it. I occassionally switch the third slot between Mr Scary, SL+, and 1086. I also got a modded XTC and a modded SL+ prom Pete which sound excellent. My band does 80's covers like Evil Sam's list above :)

16. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

UPS dropped the cab off yesterday evening, just in time for me to leave the house without being able to hook it up! :BITCH

So this morning, without further ado, I had the chance to fire up the RM 50 for the first time. First impressions... I LOVE IT! The TB certainly has the chime that everyone uses to describe Vox tones, and it's not far off the mark from the mid '60's AC30's I had the good fortune to use in doing some studio work years ago. Just a little tweaking and I think I'll have my perfect clean/semi-clean sounds.

The Plexi module sounded great with a stock American standard Strat! I'm planning on replacing the pickups/wiring harness pretty soon, and I can only imagine what improvement that will make in the overall sound. I'll be using it for my crunch rhythm suonds, and hitting it with a pedal for leads. I've got a Keeley modded SD-1 and a Sparkle Drive... I'll be testing which one is best for that later.

So... as you can tell, I'm digging it so far! I got the 2x12 in the "Palomino" finish, even though the head is black. Now I want to recover the head!

:dude

17. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Thanks for the report. I looked for the cab and the Blem head you got, but couldn't find either. I think the cabs sold out quick and blems are obviously infrequent.