Randall solid states vs. tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I have a few different tube amps such as Mesa, Budda, and Fender. The other day my friend left a Randall RH200 solid state head at my house. I believe this is like a Dimebag Darrel model amp. I am not the biggest fan of metal, mainly just pop rock in my cover band, but this amp sounded really great to me and at a fraction of the price. I did not get to test it for that long but the little bit of time have got me interested in these amps. How do they compare to other tube amps such as the Mesa's?

2. mims2

mims2 Member

Also, any comments on the Randall V2 amps for this style would be great!

3. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

You probably won't get many responses as this is mostly a botiquey tube crowd but I picked up a Randall RG50 1x12 combo form the 80's for $150 and the clean channel with my DAM Meathead it just rips! Not quite the lush tonal qualities of my Matamp but when I rip some Black Flag is sounds so right for old fast hardcore, could be why Greg Ginn used solidstate.

4. larimar

larimar Member

Those RG amps from the 80's are very cool. Nice cleans, good gain ,very deep reverb. One of the more musical sounding solid state amps around (imo). Reliable as well.

5. mims2

mims2 Member

Hum, how about the newer ones that are available today?

6. mims2

mims2 Member

How does these amps work for straight rock, or maybe hard rock. I play covers and a wide range of music but mainly 90's alternative rock. I used a Randall head, not sure of the model but it had a solid state power section and I'm not sure about the preamp section. It worked amazingly well for me and had huge body for a solid state amp in my opinion and a nice warm sound.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Weird, I have a Randall RG25R sitting around somewhere in pieces. I got all tube snobby and stopped using it, but I have to say, it was a pretty good sounding amp for the $150 or whatever that it cost me when it was new 10 years ago or so. And with green tolex and a cane basketweave baffle, it was a SLICK looking amp. Now I have a P10R in the cab and I was using that with a Valve Jr. until I sold it a few weeks ago.

8. mims2

mims2 Member

What about the hybrid amps that have tubes in the preamp section but a solid state power section. All my sounds will always be miced btw and go through the clubs speakers.

9. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have an older Randall so I cannot comment on the newer stuff. In my experience you are better off with tubes in the POWER section, vs the preamp. All the hybrids I have tried, I prefer the power tube versions to the preamp versions.

I have a Randall rg80112sc combo that works great. Now if I could just get a hold of a footswitch!

dk