Random Filtering/Sequencing Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mingo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mingo

mingo Member

2. mingo

mingo Member

even something with an arrpegiator possibly.

thanks!

3. fatback

fatback Member

The Robotalk pedal does a decent filter-sample-hold effect.

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The Moogerfooger Filter, but if the price of the ZVex scares you, you don't want to know how much it costs.

5. ck3

ck3 Member

The Alesis Philtre is another viable option ...

[​IMG]

It offers the same features as more costly units and occupies far less pedalboard space than comparable units.

>>>PHILTRE CLIPS<<<

The only drawbacks would probably be that the bypass is crappy, it is digital, and that the bypass switch and chassis are potentially fragile (plastic). Still, it has an input jack for a remote switch, a buffered pedal in the post position and/or a TB loop can alleviate the bypass issue, and a little post EQ and/or a tube preamp can warm it up a bit.

6. drolling

drolling Member

The M-Audio BlackBox was designed by Linn and has most of the filters and arpeggiators you want in a cheaper, easier to use package.

7. mingo

mingo Member

thanks for the suggestions!! i might look into the philtre.

the black box looks really cool

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The adrenalinn II does this pretty well, John Mayer used one on Bigger Than My Body.

9. mingo

mingo Member

do you think i could actually gig with this pedal?? it being plastic and all? how much does it suck the tone?

i don't have an effects loop on my amp also.

thanks for your help and suggestions.

10. ck3

ck3 Member

A member of another forum that I visit has gigged with an Alesis Bitrman for years without incident. As I said, there is a remote footswitch input on the rear of the Philtre, so it is possible to bypass the unit without having to manipulate the onboard switch. The Philtre can easily be placed on top of an amp, in a remote corner of a pedalboard, or another safe area while gigging.

It looks as though you mostly have buffered bypass pedals in your rig ... but If you are finicky about treble loss and such, you will probably have to place the Philtre in a TB loop. When the pedal is engaged, it only sucks the amount of tone that it is set to remove (in terms of frequency bands). ;) :D

If you are going to need perfect beat syncing and multiple sounds for each of your songs, the Adrenalinn, Blackbox, or another multieffector may be better suited for you. Though the Philtre only has four knobs, there aren't too many settings that work well with all of the filter types and modulation modes ... and it doesn't store presets. :(

11. mingo

mingo Member

i don't know what a tb loop is or what buffered bypass pedals means.

so what type of switch could you hook up to this thing.

i'm confused as to how i could/should hook this up.

my setup right now is as follows

Guitar->Ernie Ball Volume->TS9->TS9->Boss DM3->Small Stone->Boss Tuner->fender deluxe reverb

12. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

The Moogerfooger MuRF is just about the coolest effect of this type I've heard. It's very complex, yet totally user friendly. Every time you turn a knob you get a different sound, and it all sounds good. No manual necessary really, just start tweaking and have fun.

13. ck3

ck3 Member

A True Bypass (TB) loop is a pedal that allows you to completely remove another pedal from your signal chain when it is bypassed. In this case, if the buffers in your Ibanez and Boss pedals don't do the trick, it would prevent the Philtre from producing a faint digital humming sound when it is bypassed.

A Boss FSU-5 (model number?) or something similar would allow you to remotely trigger the Philtre.

If you want to use the Philtre as a traditional envelope filter, I would advise placing it after your volume pedal and before your TS9s ... but, if you want to have a noise freakout every now and then, put it between the two TS9s. :D :cool: