Random Komet 60 thoughts after a few weeeks.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chrissy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

It's been a few weeks since I got my Komet and I thought I'd update you guys on how things have been going.

I've tried the K60 extensively with my Les Paul and Tele and through a number of cabs too. Also tried different power tubes too (EL34, 6L6, KT66) and this is a nice amp for sure.

Regarding the fast/slow switch. I like the dynamics available when using "fast" but I'm hearing something a bit more "edgy" to the overdrive on this setting too. Slow seems a bit more rounded, slightly fatter and easier on the ear, even at comparable gain settings. Wish I could get that round attack from slow with the touch sensitvity of fast... However, with the LP and "fast" I can really run from quite an overdriven, classic rock type tones all the way back to nice juicy cleans via the guitar and I find this quite inspring to play.

KT66 sound nice in the K60 and also lower the volume a bit it seems. Nice and sparkly and with that slightly softer respinse compared to EL34. I also like 6L6 in this amps too. VaughnC you swear by them don't you? More bass response and a nice sparkle too. I have a pair of used but test good blackplates on the way to try too!

As for speakers - the Scumback SA12H75HP pair wired to 16 ohms in my Germino cab sound really nice and give a chunky OD tone. These speakers also don't sound louder than the RI Gereenbacks I had in before, which is good. I also ran the K60 into an open back cab with one Emi Rajin Cajun and one Cannabis Rex and that was a a nice smooth, creamy OD tone - quite smooth. I just got a pair of per Rola G12H 555 that I've loaded into a Germino 4x12 slant that had Heritage Greenbacks so far and I can't wait to hear that tomorrow. Played it through a 70s Orange cab with Greens too and that was very crunchy - but perhapa a bit on the sizzly side...

So you Komet users - who is using power tubes other than EL34 and if so, what? Any preference for fast or slow?

Chris

2. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I prefer fast and I've tried different tubes but I just love the El34 Mullard double getters. Tonal heaven for me.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While no amp will be all things to all people, I hear/feel something special from the Komet 60 that I've not heard/felt in any other amp I've played. However, while I was a little disappointed the first time I played a Komet, I soon realized that there was something about EL34's that I didn't like for my Strat sound. So, after chasing various tubes for a few weeks, I settled on RCA 6L6GC blackplates with EL37's coming in a close second. The 6L6's seem to lean the Komet a little in the Fender direction with a bigger bottom and less harshness in the upper mids and treble ranges. I don't play/own any guitars with humbuckers so I was chasing a specific Strat sound, and the K60 with 6L6 blackplates seem to be the ticket. Also, the bias setting seems to have an effect on how the amp responds to your input. With blackplates, for me the sweet spot seems to be around 25ma/tube.

Personally, I prefer the fast mode with Strats as that mode seems to have a fuller sound with more oomph with single coil pickups.

The Komet 60 is a very interesting amp that really blossoms at gigging volume. It's one of the few amps I've played that made me feel part of the rig rather than just providing the input.

Good luck with the new toy Chrissy ;) .

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

One of the top-10 amp tones I've ever heard was EL37s in Hawkeye-in-Exile's old K60. The biggest, warmest, cleanest clean there ever was.

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The Komet is the finest amp I've ever owned or played.
    Lespaul+El34s into a 4x12 greenback cab.
    That is IT

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My Komet 60 has Mullards all the way into a Germino 2x12 with Heritage G12H speakers. Sound great with my old metal handled Marshall 4x12 with G12H 30s.

7. bluestein

bluestein Member

Doggone Komet is one of those life-changing amps.

If I had to list the BEST sounding amps I've heard over the last 50 years: (OK doggone it......I'm a geezer)

#1. The lead tone of a particular Orange Dumble Overdrive Special previously owned by Jackson Brown.....(borrowed by Bonnie Raitt and SRV - draw your own conclusions)

Insanely great. Instantly becomes the lead tone that ALL others are judged by....one trick pony though...... Somebody could own it - at 30K plus. Outta my range......dammit again.......

LouV, Jato and others - You've heard the beast - eh.....?

If someone wants to own the best amp on earth- this is it.

#2 Komet 60.
    Somehow captures the experience of surfing.....on a harmonic wave. Plug in a Blackbox X-ray or Hotcake and be prepared for a religious experience. (Sorry Shades - I'm a EL34 kinda guy.....)

#3 65? Park Plexi
    Again, a life-changing sorta tone......I don't know if these were experiments, salvage, surplus or whatever.......but as Aspen Pittman said - this is by far the best sounding "Marshall" I've ever heard.

#4 Tim Schroeders "beast".
    The Orange Dumble lead channed combined with the ultimate blackface clean. OK, I de-rated it a bit since he had the opportunity to clone the Dumble. (stand on the shoulders of giants) He's made a few - now if I can only get him to build ME one.

#5 '92 THD Plexi. If I could sing like this, I could retire tomorrow. Andy Marshall, you could have stopped right here......instead you did the Univalve, Flexi etc. Yikes.

Back to Chris's original question.....about the Komet 60......

......to paraphrase Lee Iococca - Show me a better amp, and I'll buy it........

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Thank you guys... very interesting stuff.

Chris

9. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Note that it is possible to modify the fast/gradual switch circuit so that the gradual is more like the fast. I found that this enabled me to get the response I really like from my favorite pickups - P90s, as their output is between a Fender style single coil and a Gibson style humbucker.

I have tried Mullard EL37, RCA 6L6, Genelec KT-66, and Mullard EL34 tubes, among others, in my Komet #19. All good sounding and worth a try. If I had to pick, it would be RCA 6L6 and Mullard EL34 tubes, as they provide two distinct and wonderful sounds. Clean playing I favor the 6L6, distortion or crunch I favor the EL34. I don't think the EL37 sounds so good when pushed into distortion. The KT-66 has a big, warm hi-fi sound. Putting a 12AU7 in the phase inverter can also be nice for cleaner sounds.

10. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I made a huge mistake selling my Komet.

For me, it was stock tubes, all knobs @ 12:00, '68 basket weave cabinet. Use fast/gradual mode depending on mood.

The sustain is what killed me. Even with my guitars volume rolled all the way down, it would just sustain for ever.

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes - that orange Dumble had the best lead tone I have ever heard! Sadly Jato never made it over that day.....

Didn't know Tim was building a version of that lead channel....very interesting.....

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Who it Tim guys?
    Does he build a line of amps, or one at a time?

13. bluestein

bluestein Member

"Tim" is archtop luthier Tim Schroeder. He's been building amps for a while now - mostly for himself and close clients. One-off's - built to order.

The particular amp I'm talking about: - he's spent the last decade trying to understand why the orange Dumble is so amazing - and then incorporate the concepts into his own amp. He nailed the tone - and then added a second "clean" channel.

He's built a few (perhaps a dozen or two) - but they sell instantly. Gotta catch him at the right time when he's ready to let one go so he can start the next project.

He makes them mostly for self-amusement....spends weeks tweaking a single amp. Sort of like the guys over on Ampage.

I don't see him going into any kind of "production" of these ala Fuchs, Komet etc. It would take all the fun out of it for him. Plus, he's too busy with guitar work.

14. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

You're so right about the sustain. The rolled back cleans are REALLY sweet.

Chris

15. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

I own #40 and hav also tried a number of different tubes. I have Mullards EL34's as well as a pair of Seimens but I'm not to keen on the EL 34 sound. In the amp now is a pair of KT66's and so far these are my favorite with a pair of 6550's next.

Regarding speakers, I would love some input. I have a 4x12 loaded with Boogie Black Shadows. They sound good but tend to be a bit brash top end. Any speaker suggestions for a nice smooth tone? I play mostly blues with humbucker guitars.

Regards to all,
    Pat

16. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Greenbacks work well for the Komet 60 or the G12H 30.

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Nova,

Agree with Butch - both Greens and G12H sound(ed) great with mine. In addition, using KT66 aND Greenbacks will enable you to get some great tones at medium rather than loud volume. Cool combination.

Chris

18. AK1

AK1 Member

For all those in Komet fever now - proceed with care.
    They're not all the same !
    A few years ago I've tried one next to my '68 50w Plexi -
    almost identical tonally ( taking into consideration the difference in tubes)
    However, I liked the response of the Komet better.
    A while back, craving the tone of my Plexi, that I've foolishly sold, I bought
    a Komet - this one wasn't even close, unusable for my purposes, didn't really clean up all that well, rolling back the guitars volume etc, etc.
    Kinda gotta be lucky, just like with old Marshalls, some have it and some don't.

19. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

I wonder how the Mesa Black Shadows compare to the G12H
    ( which I had in a 2 x 12) but sold them, and more so to Greenbacks? Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Pat

20. hogy

hogy Member

AK1, we take great care to ensure that all Komets that leave our shop are "great ones". They are all burned in for days and played extensively against our reference shop amp.

If a Komet "doesn't have it", it doesn't leave here.

That said, stuff happens, parts can fail.

Please feel free to contact us about your amp. We'll gladly check it out for you and bring it up to spec.

Hogy, Komet Amplification
    www.kometamps.com