• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Random parts, plus obsolete Floyd Rose trem, equals great guitar!

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Fantastic...love getting a guitar out of spares. I have one finishing right now. Old Fender body I painted (badly!) but it is nitro and thin. 30 year old Warmoth Strat neck I've had on countless guitars over the years with Sperzel tuners. Balance of hardware and electronics are Fender and had laying around. I sent it out to Doug Kauer, who is kindly cutting the nut and is going to setup the guitar when he can work it into his super busy schedule. One guitar...nothing ordered for the project.

B Money

So no issue with the neck being shifted towards the treble strings because of the neck pocket shim you put it? Seems weird that the nut is not aligned with the bridge, but maybe it doesn't make much of a difference over a 25.5" scale length.

Im trying to figure out how to load pics on this site so please bear with me. I was able to use a pic for my avatar so you could see what I'm starting with. The body was a piece of dunnage I found while unloading a rail car of lumber. We milled it down right there in the yard to thickness. Who knew it was a beautiful piece of ribbon stripe mahogany about 20"x16"x2 1/2. My first attempt at fine woodworking. Maybe I can correct some of the mistakes I made 30 something years ago.
Do you have a Photobucket or other account?

Thanks guys. Yeah, this guitar really rocks hard. The parts just go well together. Through the hot rodded Marshalls, this guitar is THAT sound! Feels like 1985 all over again.

Honestly, I'm just thrilled I found a solution for this trem. I thought for sure it was money down the drain and unusable without those Floyd proprietary strings.
I'd love to see more pics of that mutt of yours.

Gbob61

I got a photobucket account to post on this forum. Just haven't had time to figure it out yet.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
So no issue with the neck being shifted towards the treble strings because of the neck pocket shim you put it? Seems weird that the nut is not aligned with the bridge, but maybe it doesn't make much of a difference over a 25.5" scale length.
No, it sets up just fine. It's a skinny neck so the heel is slimmer. The bolt pattern lined up in such a way that there was a gap on both sides of the heel.

Gbob61

I changed my avatar to show the back. Just remember that an 18 year old did this. I fear I went too deep on the pickup cavity. Any recommendations on a filler that will stand up to a router? On another topic, do you need to be a supporting member to post pics? I don't mind the $12 but I was reading about people with iOS having a hard time embedding images.

Gbob61

It's all good. I just want to see more of the guitar.:aok

Yes it is!:cool:
I figured before I butcher my mutt as you called it I would practice on something else. Found the striped strat on the side of the road bought a cheap Floyd to put on it. Everything worked out fine except the term block is too short and the springs rub. So I guess my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade the block or just router the cavity? Any help would be appreciated. Btw I got the Ibanez pro line for $20 at a yard sale in Dittmer Mo.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I know this is an old thread but I signed up just to ask how the speed loader stays in tune? I can get one cheap, same finish.
there's a reason for that!

i wouldn't go out and buy a speedloader now; the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still a waste of money.

Last edited:
I figured before I butcher my mutt as you called it I would practice on something else. Found the striped strat on the side of the road bought a cheap Floyd to put on it. Everything worked out fine except the term block is too short and the springs rub. So I guess my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade the block or just router the cavity? Any help would be appreciated. Btw I got the Ibanez pro line for $20 at a yard sale in Dittmer Mo.
If you can swing the price to get one, I would get a brass FU block. Measure it in MM's & buy the next longest one.

Gbob61

Thanks for the info on the sustain block. It worked out great. So I have a guitar that was Found On Road Dead, random part is the select pickup I had and $50 invested in the tremolo. It wasn't free but I learned alot about trems and electronics. Time to move on to my random parts guitar.

Thanks for the info on the sustain block. It worked out great. So I have a guitar that was Found On Road Dead, random part is the select pickup I had and $50 invested in the tremolo. It wasn't free but I learned alot about trems and electronics. Time to move on to my random parts guitar.
Glad I could help.

T Dizz

I love it when a plan comes together..

That's a great guitar! Love the natural finish and the slanted single, simple controls and the strat head.

Gbob61

Glad I could help.
Put a Dimarzio dp214 I had in and I'm staying with the single volume for now. I'm gonna have to buy a trem and with the thin body (1 5/8") I might go with Kahler. I know a lot of people hate them but I had one on a 72 LP and a 79 Flying V and never had any more tuning issues than a FR. Anyway, I want to get any routing done before I start working on the finish. Thinking Tru-Oil finish. Once again, any thoughts or advice on either issue would be appreciated.

Gbob61

Glad I could help.
Got the routing done for the tremolo. First time and actually pretty easy after I made templates. Went with Gotoh. I still can't link to post pics but I'm only using a phone right now. If you want to see more go to my Facebook page Robert Purcell.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom