Random Thought....The Edge and PRS..never seen it

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by KSKONDOR, Feb 1, 2012.

1. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

Just a totally random thought I had after watching the Edge soundcheck post and the PRS examples post. To me, and most people I gather, we consider PRS to be very high quality, versatile, and consistently built guitars that lot's of great players seem to have used used live or in the studio at one point or another. I have followed the Edge and he goes through 15 to 20 guitars per show, mostly vintage..Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Etc. I know he has the pockets to afford these unrealistic for most guitars, but I've also seen him with comparably lower end Fernandes, and The Variax when it was new, as well as Taylors which are more modern than the Gibsons he plays.

Bottom Line...he is VERY dependent on new and digital technology on his board (even using POD rackmounts at times) but I have never seen him with a PRS. Has anyone? Just found it interesting?

2. david eaton

david eaton Member

Paul Reed Smith tells the story that the biggest mistake he ever made happened when he was showing his personal guitar to the Edge at a U2 show in Washington. Edge asked for the guitar, Paul said, essentially, that one is mine but I'll make you one just like it. That, it seems, was the wrong answer. Which is why Paul doesn't make that mistake anymore. Ask anyone who was at the Al DiMeola clinic at the first PRS experience when Al really fell for Paul's personal guitar...it was quickly his.

3. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

Cool. I'd never heard that story. I love U2 and PRS. The edge is obviously very charitable but now I think it is funny that he thought he could just have PRS's personal guitar :) Oh to be a rockstar I guess.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Serious mistake #1. I can't blame him for not wanting a PRS.

5. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I, too, have often wondered this, as I am a huge fan of both The Edge and PRS.

6. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

I'm still waiting for the Jack White signature PRS guitar.

7. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

He would ask for PRS's guitar? Kinda rude. It's one thing if Paul offered it.

8. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Rock stars live in a different world, right next door...

9. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

That is what I thought. They are a band that gives so much to charities and works on so many philanthropic projects, it's surprising. Would LOVE to hear the whole story on that. If he was putting a sales pitch on The Edge it may make more sense as the perception could have been there that PRS was trying to give him that guitar.