1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Randy Rhoads Guitar Tone/Sounds in a Major System or few pedals?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rafterman, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rafterman

Rafterman Supporting Member

What combination of pedals or gear nails the Randy Rhoads guitar tone and sounds in your opinion?

From Fractal Audio / Kemper Profiler systems to MXR combination of pedals and amps.

Is there any combo effects system like the Boss GT 1000 or Zoom pedal with a preset that nails it?

What's the lazy pre-packaged way? What's the "Put the Work" in dial it up way with pedals or effect rack systems?

Not meant to be a debate but a nice platform to see different ideas and perspectives.

I was fortunate enough recently to meet Randy's brother and sister and talk with them for a while. Very Inspiring.

Thank you in advance as always!

2. ToObZ

ToObZ Member

A big part of the Rhoads sound were those Altec 417-8H speakers..

3. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

A Jcm800, goosed by an Mxr distortion+, 7 band eq in an inverted V shape, a little splash of Phase 90. That's crazy train. It would not be hard to duplicate this on a modeler.

4. monty

monty Member

Yep, plus a touch of chorus and you are there.

5. Rafterman

I saw some use a Fractal Audio with a Zakk Wylde preset on You Tube. Sounded incredible. I would love to see a Fractal Audio unit in person but as we know they only sell then direct.

6. Anarchist Andy

Anarchist Andy Member

When I read that Randy recorded from the control room with his amp down some stairs in a stone basement, I tried experimenting with multitracking some leads from a tile bathroom. This is the closest I have gotten to Randy's tone in my ears. I was trying to capture some of the suicide solution vibe and I Don't Know. As Zakk referred to this, you get sort of a, "natural chorusing" effect when the leads are doubled with a second take. Maybe some light flanger on certain parts.

7. Rafterman

I checked on Boss GT 1000 demos online but didn't hear anything that really jumped out.

8. Schlep

Schlep Member

Guitar Player mag from the 80s referenced an AMS delay unit.

Also Randy commonly triple tracked solos.

Stratburst70 likes this.
  9. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Use a delay time of 30 mS or less to simulate the double tracking that he did.