Randy Rhoads was a Monster

fierce_carrot

For those of us who were around back ten and playing, you cant even begin to understand the impact he had on the entire guitar playing world when that first album with Ozzy hit the shelves. There was ni internet back then, just radio airplay and word of mouth. I think the consensus was that Ozzy's career was over after Sabbath and then he reappears with the most incredible player since Hendrix. Nobody had heard anything like him, melding blistering rock licks with classical paving an entirely new direction in music and kicking the door down for metal to finally be heard on mainstream FM radio. I honestly believe that EVH would never have reached the icon status he has if RR had lived.

Stratofreak

I honestly believe that EVH would never have reached the icon status he has if RR had lived.

Not to take away anything from Rhoads, but I don't think there's anything accurate about what you stated here. Van Halen I was released in February of 1978 and reached #19 on the album charts. By most accounts, Osbourne met Rhoads in September 1979. Van Halen's debut album was a hit before Osbourne and Rhoads even met.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Not to take away anything from Rhoads, but I don't think there's anything accurate about what you stated here. Van Halen I was released in February of 1978 and reached #19 on the album charts. By most accounts, Osbourne met Rhoads in September 1979. Van Halen's debut album was a hit before Osbourne and Rhoads even met.

Though Rhoads was my favorite this is the truth. I remember the first time I heard VH on the radio and was blown away. It was a couple years before Ozzy/ Rhoads hit the scene with Blizzard. Bob

handtrix

There were something like 250 aIIRC Randy was supposed to be be taking 2 years off to go back to school for more classical training. Not only was Ozzy good with it, he encouraged it...
Auditioning for the spot, and when it was Randy's turn, Ozzy stopped the auditions right then and there after he heard Randy.

1941WillysMB

The best guitar playing little person ever!!! Imagine my surprise when I tried a Les Paul and realized they aren't the size of a jumbo acoustic, as they appear in Randy's hands.

As a kid he was my biggest guitar icon, his playing holds up today. I tried so hard to learn his licks and solos. I don't think I would still be playing today if it weren't for RR.

NorCal_Val

Silver Supporting Member
...Ozzy's career was over after Sabbath and then he reappears with the most incredible player since Hendrix.

Strictly your opinion.
Certainly not the truth.
By the time "Blizzard of Oz" was released, Van Halen had already released 3 albums, and EVH was "the man" as far as rock guitar players go. EVH had set the bar.
When "Blizzard..." came out, RR was a huge buzz among guitar players. And, after "Diary..." was released there almost seemed to be players who were either EVH worshippers, or RR worshippers.
While I preferred EVH's tone and spontaneity, there's no denying that RR brought a sort of "perfectionism" to the rock guitar vocabulary. Which isn't a bad thing. I really liked RR's tone on "Tribute" much better than his studio tone.

AXEnGEAR4J

Ditto ...
And a special Marshall to boot!
For those of us who were around back ten and playing, you cant even begin to understand the impact he had on the entire guitar playing world when that first album with Ozzy hit the shelves. There was ni internet back then, just radio airplay and word of mouth. I think the consensus was that Ozzy's career was over after Sabbath and then he reappears with the most incredible player since Hendrix. Nobody had heard anything like him, melding blistering rock licks with classical paving an entirely new direction in music and kicking the door down for metal to finally be heard on mainstream FM radio. I honestly believe that EVH would never have reached the icon status he has if RR had lived.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom