Rane SM26 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DeuxSeaPlus, Apr 30, 2016.

1. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Got one of these to serve as a line mixer for my rack setup. Had it for awhile, but have always struggled with it. Regardless of how it's set, I always think that I'm losing some fidelity running my gear through it - which is surprising since I know Bob Bradshaw used these for years in some pretty high level rigs (e.g. EVH).

Any thoughts or tips on using one (or a couple of these) in a rig? Thanks.

2. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

How do you feel it colors the tone specifically? I'm planning on picking one of these up too, so I'm curious as to what your thoughts are.

3. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

It doesn't necessarily cut off any frequencies, at least not noticeably so. It does, however, impact the immediacy and vibrance of the tone - it just dulls the signal without really rolling anything off.

I actually prefer using an Intellifex and some pedals rather than using the 26 along with some really high level rack gear (Lexicons, TCs, Eventides) - which is an absurd result.

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Do you have a dedicated 'dry' channel going through it?

5. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Yep, tried it with both balanced and unbalanced cables with resulting levels of "meh" as a result.

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Well, I think it's kind of a trade off. I drove myself nuts plugging my guitar straight into a preamp or amp and A/Bing for days the difference in tone between that and going into a switcher and or mixer before it instead. Yeah, there's a difference. The trade off though is that you don't get to use all the spendy, swirly FX parallel in a mixer or however you might have it rigged if you don't go that way. Maybe try a different brand mixer, not sure what the latest, greatest 'transparent' line mixer is these days.

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

FWIW I use a RJM Mini Effects Gizmo as a splitter and the RJM Mini Line Mixer. Very transparent. Not the same possibilities as a Rane of course, but works for my parallel needs.

8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i just have my normal "dry" signal going straight to my amp, and then additionally send it to a line-mixer which's used only for FX..... and which is amplified separately; keeps my "dry" guitar/amp signal just as i like it.
    i like it better even when the FX are simply amplified in mono: a kind of clarity i enjoy, though "dry" amp + stereo FX is my happy normal.

i don't like the change of tone nor the change of feel when the mixer is feeding the input to my amps; nope.
    the more complex the signal path of the mixer, the less i like it.
    Rane vs mini-RJM?
    imo: smaller is better here, esp. if quality is high & connections/cabling are good, as usual.

afaik, i'm the guy from whom bradshaw got the idea about using (modified) Rane SM26's, back in 198-something, via my very direct rig-advice to my friend, guitarist warren cuccurullo.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Chandyland likes this.