Rangemaster Clones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gmanrickyt, Oct 5, 2005.

1. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I'm looking to add a rangemaster clone type pedal to my board and am soliciting opinions on them. I've narrowed my choices between either the Beano Boost or the Java Boost. I tried the Swart Atomic Boost but found the pedal too dark.

Do any of you have an opinion or comparison of the two pedals that you'd like to share? Or, if you know of another brand, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks,

Rick

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Java Boost is a beautiful pedal and is very versatile for a Rangemaster derived unit. The three-way toggle and the tone control make it great at adapting to different set-ups. Wish I still had mine, but ultimately I chose to keep my Time Machine Boost instead, and the 'Vintage' side of that is very similar (though I didn't think they sounded identical like some folks do). The Java may seem pricey, but I would definitely consider that one to be a front runner.

The Analogman Beano is great too.

I have an original Don Butler (toneman) on the way, and I can't wait to get my paws on that one.

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have the BYOC Ranger clone and it's the ****!!! I love this thing. It almost makes my Fender sound like a Marshall! I put a different cap in it to give it a darker tone similiar to the Bean-O Boost's darker tones.....

4. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Lots of good ones out there. You certainly can't go wrong ( imo ) with the Keeley or analog man stuff. The Hombrew Germania is another good one, but the forementioned Toneman Rangemaster on it's way to Phil is killer!

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

+1 for the Beano!

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I've tried these:

Java Boost (best germanium IMHO and my absolute favorite)

Crispy Creme (best silicon IMHO)

TMB (best combo but I agree, not the same as the Java which was better to me)

Hellbilly (combo fuzz/treble booster very cool but not fully in either camp)

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I like the HBE Germania and the Plosive Dual.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have/had the following:

AM Beano Boost - raw in a good way
    Java Boost - more polite (but noisy if used with 9v power)
    /13 Dyna Ranger - between the two others in terms of rawness/niceness, most versatile with 5 way click switch

I decided to stick with the Beano. In fact, I ordered a Sun Lion (Beano + Sun Face) which I've been waiting on for a while. /13 traded away and Java is now up for grabs.

Are you certain you want a Rangemaster clone. I've recently discovered the variety of treble boosters available and like the Hornsby-Skewes clone I got form BSM (the HS-C). Maybe check out BSM here

Chris

9. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

My experience's were similar to Chrissy with regard to the Java and Dyna

Java Boost - excellent tone (but also disturbingly noisy if used with 9v power)
    /13 Dyna Ranger - my favorite treble booster for both tone and versatility.
    TMB - What I still own because it has the variety I need beyond a treblebooster.
    Retroman - I liked this one alot. The tone was flat out killer. I would consider owing this one again even with the TMB.