Rant: Why the fek aren’t there more stereo guitar amps on the market??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jdel77, Jan 23, 2020.

1. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

I play in a 3 piece original band. I’m the only guitarist. I want a stereo signal happening, whereby I run stereo FX into my stereo amp and out a stereo cab, which has each speaker mic’d and panned left and right out of the PA.
    To achieve this near impossible task, I have the incredibly prodigious range of the following amps to choose from:

Diezel VH4S
    Synergy or similar rack system
    Orange Rocker 32.

OR I can rejoice at the prospect of carrying two amps/rigs to a gig.

Why are stereo amps rarer than the freakin’ Amur Leopard? It’s like 99.9% of people forget we have two ears, not one ear in the centre of our foreheads.
    It peeves me off.

2. d95err

d95err Member

The added costs and complexity of running a stereo rig is not worth it for most guitarists. Also, I think most guitarists who use stereo have modellers and run directly into the PA and/or to full-range monitors. They don't need stereo guitar amps. So the demand for stereo guitar amps is very limited.

It can be really cool though. I remember once in my youth at a gig when I found that the available backline included two identical combos on either side of the stage. First time I stepped on my chorus pedal, the audience gasped and the rest of the band nearly stopped playing. It was such an amazing effect!

QRSS, Billy Van Beck, chandra and 7 others like this.
  3. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

I think most guitarists who’ve never played a cranked stereo rig are like people who’ve never seen colour. That example you described is exactly why it’s needed.

treyhaislip, FbIsNotE, sahhas and 8 others like this.
  4. Ejay

Ejay Member

vicdeluca71, Blix, mangoman and 7 others like this.
  5. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

I bet it sounds great!

6. scotty31

scotty31 Member

Bogner Duende Seco Mojado is another stereo amp option
    Good luck finding one. great amp though

jdel77 and Coli like this.
  7. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Welles; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Recently bought my second amp to create a stereo spread.

I think Blackstar makes a stereo modeling amp, six to seven hundred dollars

8. Dominik

Dominik Member

Over time as modeling eats into even more of their sales they'll have to incorporate features like stereo output. We're already seeing IRs built in. And there's more of a demand for lower power anyway these days so they may as well split it into 2 x 50W or even 2 x 25W.

It still requires a second amp to power the other cabinet but I like how Andy Timmons does it with one preamp using a stereo delay to split the signal. You could easily use a smaller rack sized power amp or something that fits on a pedalboard like a Duncan PowerStage to power the second cab.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  9. PB+J

PB+J Member

Stereo amps? You mean a single amp with two speakers? How do you get enough separation to matter in a single amp sized box? Also what is "stereo" in that case, and how is it different from a two-speaker cab?

Steppin' Wolfe and Elwin Ransom like this.
  10. Ejay

Ejay Member

tbh...I haven’t put the cab through a lot of gigs. Once, in a setting where I sat so close to the speaker that there wasn’t much benifit from stereo spread. Sounds nice at home.

Ussually I bring a 1x12 cab, or a 1x12 tube combo of which I use the return to amp my modeler.
    That gets the left side, and I run right to either a stage monitor, or when its only a small house (vocal) PA to the right side of foh, left of foh off, that gets covered by my cab.
    Works really well, you get the goodies of a traditional cab, and the benifits of modeling / stereo ...still running a compact set up.

11. MHG

MHG Member

Magnatone has two stereo amps. The Panoramic Stereo and the Stereo Twightlighter. Swart also has the ST-Stereo head and the Stereo Master 20.

Barnzy, Timbre Wolf, dg87 and 5 others like this.
  12. MHG

MHG Member

jdel77 likes this.
  13. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

Love that free market!

14. MHG

MHG Member

15. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

I once saw a guitarist who wired up a Marshall 4x12 cab in stereo, and ran a Tiny Terror one side and an Egnater Tweaker the other. Three piece band, they sounded immense.

16. Hot In The Shade

Hot In The Shade Member

17. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

No, he means amps in which each speaker can receive a different signal when effects are involved, such as JC-120s, which have been around for 40+ years. If you want more separation you can mic each speaker.

Playing a JC-120 with the chorus engaged is a thing of beauty, but on the whole, the degree to which I find stereo effects gimmicky increases with the years.

18. LaXu

LaXu Member

I'd say for stereo or wet/dry rigs is where all these mini amps and pedalboard poweramps etc come in. Those are easy to turn into an amplification system to handle the wet side and then you just have a couple of cabs for proper stereo separation.

19. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Regarding why there aren't more of them, aside from modeling and the fact that there is not that much demand, anyone who just has to have a stereo rig can simply use two amps.

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member