Ranting about DR strings

Haunting Mids

I've been a happy user of DR's Tite-Fit and Pure Blues 10-46 strings for more or less 10 years.
But for the last two years, the vast majority of them revealed rubbish.
Tarnished, smeared, dull sounding and short-lasting most of the time.
I mean 8 sets out of 10, for the average rate.

So I think it's time to change and explore new brands, with the same characterictics.
I've been eyeballing at Pyramid studio pure nickel, Curt Mangan Pure nickel and Thomastik Bright.

What else should I lurk at, according to you guys ?

Lately, I've been liking the NYXL to play good old and modern rock, and the EB Cobalt to play with my fingers FYI.

Thanks

Stratobuc

I suggest the Curt Mangans, and depending if you like a brighter tone (Nickel Wrap) or not as bright (Pure Nickel). The tension is a bit more taught than the same gauge D'Addario - but they really last a lot longer.

Haunting Mids

I like pure nickel but it depends on the guitars I'm using.

I have :
- 2014 Custom Shop Yamaha SA-2200 (black with bigbsy and SH1, my latest beauty)
- 1993 Fender american standard telecaster
- 1993 Gibson SG standard
- 1999 James Trussart Steelcaster
- 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
- a spare PRS SE-ONE mounted with a Gibson P-90 and Tonepro bar.

i did not notice an increase in life span for curt mangans, just an extended price tag.

cobalts are louder, have more tension, and last longer but that because theyre much harder material. they damaged the frets on my guitars. google it, im not the only one.
strings harder than frets = idiotic product.

i use plain old ernie ball SS. theyre cheap enough i can change them anytime i feel like it with out wondering if i waited long enough to warrant paying a premium for whatever they claim to be. i also just love the way they feel. i used to judge all strings relative to them and then wondered why i keep trying to beat them, why not just be glad im happy w them.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I've been a happy user of DR's Tite-Fit and Pure Blues 10-46 strings for more or less 10 years.
But for the last two years, the vast majority of them revealed rubbish.
Tarnished, smeared, dull sounding and short-lasting most of the time.
I mean 8 sets out of 10, for the average rate.

So I think it's time to change and explore new brands, with the same characterictics.
I've been eyeballing at Pyramid studio pure nickel, Curt Mangan Pure nickel and Thomastik Bright.

What else should I lurk at, according to you guys ?

Lately, I've been liking the NYXL to play good old and modern rock, and the EB Cobalt to play with my fingers FYI.

Thanks
That begs the question: where did you buy your DR's? I've never hesitated to call a string company and tell them in a polite way, that there is a problem, corrosian, kinks, burrs, etc. The companies are usually thankful for the feedback and will send new strings.

Haunting Mids

That begs the question: where did you buy your DR's? I've never hesitated to call a string company and tell them in a polite way, that there is a problem, corrosian, kinks, burrs, etc. The companies are usually thankful for the feedback and will send new strings.
That begs the answer : I buy them in europe, mostly through french or german sites.
What I don't understand is that those sets were hermetically packed, with the plastic bag over the paper foils.
If they had been packed in the old non-hermetic package, I woulda understood.

Many stinks were folded, stained, smeared...

For now, my choice could be pyramid's.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I used to swear by DR strings, but switched to D'Addario about 10 years ago. Had too many breakage issues with DR strings.

I now use Curt Mangan nickle wrap for darker guitars and D'Addario for brighter guitars. I get more life out of the D'Addario, but both last a good length of time. I wipe down my strings after playing which helps alot.

Stratobuc

i did not notice an increase in life span for curt mangans, just an extended price tag.
If you buy in multiple sets, and use the coupons they send you, they aren't any more expensive than the brand you use. The fact that they last much longer makes them MUCH more economical. I used D'Addarios 30 years, I live in FL. Without any doubt - the Mangans last longer.

If you buy in multiple sets, and use the coupons they send you, they aren't any more expensive than the brand you use. The fact that they last much longer makes them MUCH more economical. I used D'Addarios 30 years, I live in FL. Without any doubt - the Mangans last longer.
my experience was contrary to yours. they do not last longer. that was my point.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I can't stand DR's - there is a sting that simply will not intonate [usually the 'D'] in every 3rd package.

Once I switched to D'Addario NYXL's I never looked back! They seem to last forever, sound great, slightly more output, and a slight midrange push too - I love everything about them!

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I went from DR to Pyramid and love them.
Yes, when I was first trying pure nickel strings, it was DRs first and I really liked them.

I then tried Pyramid Nickel Classics and have been using them ever since. Absolutely love them. Greater clarity, more highs, and a nicer feel than the DRs, as well as lasting longer, too.

Haunting Mids

Yes, when I was first trying pure nickel strings, it was DRs first and I really liked them.

I then tried Pyramid Nickel Classics and have been using them ever since. Absolutely love them. Greater clarity, more highs, and a nicer feel than the DRs, as well as lasting longer, too.
Are you using the Studio Masters pure nickel ?

tabb74

Use to swear by DR Titefits, fifteen years ago, but they seemed to break a lot. Switched to D'Addario and haven't looked back. Pick slides were real wimpy on DR's too.

DonaldDemon

I was a DR user until I started noticing the intonation and breakage problems on a vast majority of packs I would get. Dedicated Mangan user now, they sound better and last just as long, haven't broke a string or had problem intonating in years.

TheGuildedAge

I had to give up on them too. When we gigged heavily, I bought them in bulk, but had so many issues I just switched.

DR was always great about sending replacements, but it was a hassle.

Trending Topics