Rap in the RRHF? Cube vs. Simmons

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by adamagain, Apr 14, 2016.

1. adamagain

adamagain Silver Supporting Member

2. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Clearly.

3. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

Yes.

Whew! That was easy. I'm sure there will be no further responses on this topic.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

The people who run the hall think so. :dunno

A-Bone likes this.
  5. conanb

conanb Member

I think everyone should do themselves a favour and stop thinking, speaking, or posting about the RRHOF. It's a scam. It's all a scam. And I'm keeping it going just by writing this.

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Man, he's been in there for 10 minutes and he thinks he owns the place!

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Who are they scamming exactly? They are a big building full of memorabilia from people they have inducted. You can see the list of inductees before you go, you can choose to give them money or not, where is the scam?

8. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Long before they may, or may not have, inducted rappers, I stopped paying R&RHOF any attention.

9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

But you started again in order to respond to this thread.

EricPeterson likes this.
  10. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

A lot of the inductees were never played on rock radio stations...

But nobody listens to them anymore!

11. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Stern interviewed him this week. He seems like a pretty likeable guy and it's hard to disagree with his take on this issue.
    I'd also probably rather listen to NWA or his solo stuff than Kiss, so I might be biased.

Frankee and Sam Karnatz like this.
  12. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Especially since the owners/overseers of the hall get to decide what it's called and what the name means. Clearly their interpretation of the term "rock and roll" aligns with Ice Cube's and not Gene's.

13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Maybe I just said I should take no objection to Ice Cube's point of view regarding the subject.
    In reality, I don't really care, but I did enjoy Ice Cube's interview with Stern. I'd probably enjoy Stern interviewing Gene Simmons, too. :idea

14. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

For the record I was agreeing with you.

15. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I have no idea of what the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Shame" is going for and what are their boundaries and neither do they IMO.

They will need to fill it up with every major Jazz, R&B, Blues, Country, Rap/HipHop, Trance, EDM etc artist the way they are going and then they will need to induct Bach, Mozart and Beethoven etc.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  16. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Okay everyone, listen up: It's time for a history lesson. Rock and Roll lasted during a very brief period (1954 - 1959) and included very few performers. It ended when Little Richard became a priest, Elvis went to the army, Jerry Lee Lewis married his child cousin, Bill Haley went to Europe, Chuck Berry got arrested, Alan Freed was implicated in a payola scandal and a plane crash killed Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens. All of these things happened during or before 1959, and by the time the 60s rolled around, "Rock and Roll" as a genre was dead. Everything that followed (including post-army Elvis) was something else.

Also, some of the earliest inductees into the rock hall include Robert Johnson (not RnR), Sam Cooke (not RnR), James Brown (not RnR), Ray Charles (not RnR) and the list goes on. I don't understand the fuss about this. If it was truly a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it would be too limited to attract an audience. And since it's NEVER limited itself to the Rock and Roll genre specifically, I can't fathom why people would make a fuss about any genre they choose to include now.

EricPeterson and Chrome Dinette like this.
  17. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

Rock and Roll was Rock and Roll and everyone knows what Rock and Roll means.

Rock and Roll didn't just stop in the early 60s, the Beatles and others were derived from Rock and Roll and then there was the mixing of Rock and Roll with Blues (Rock or Blues/Rock) and large amps for power which led to Cream, Sabbath, Purple, Zep etc which leads to Aerosmith, Guns and Roses and Nirvana.

That's Rock and Roll where there is some sort of derivation that makes some sense.

Rap and Hip/Hop is not derived from Rock and Roll in a meaningful way and neither is Jazz or Country.

Rock and Roll was a particular blend of Jump Blues (R&B) and Country that produced a new form that was so strong that everyone knows it, and then Rock (Blues/Rock) things derived from that.

Rap and HipHop might have some R&B roots but they don't have much in the way of Elvis roots.

Even Progressive Rock is still derived from Rock.

Why have a Country Hall of Fame when they will all end up in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anyway http://countrymusichalloffame.org

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

19. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

"Womp bop a loo bop a lop bam boom!"

JiveTurkey and TheClev like this.
  20. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Apparently, a TON of people don't. Hence this HOF argument that keeps coming up.

Right. Like I said, it stopped in 1959, not the early 60s.

No, they all share a lot of common ground. I'm not sure you could say with any certainty what genre influenced which subsequent genre at this point, but it is true that jazz and blues predated Rock and Roll.

You're clearly not familiar with Elvis's roots.