Rascal Flatts lead guitarists tone....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I'm not particularly a country music fan. In fact I pretty much can't stand 85% of what pop in current country music today. Today I heard the Rascal Flatts remake of "life is a highway" and the guitar tones where awesome!! I was wondering what rig that guitarist is using. I love his tone. Don't care for the song.... but the tone is killer!

2. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

i think he uses bogner ecstacy and line 6 pods a good bit, but not pos. about that

3. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Great band. I also love the guitar tones Keith Urban and his guitarist gets.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

His rack is on the bogner homepage right now. 3 XTC's and a Marshall.
    Must be nice. :Spank

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

That very well could be session ace/producer (and former metaler) Dann Huff playing those parts.

He's usually listed with the pretty boy dude in the credits and I tend to think it's Dann playing on most of the cool stuff in the studio.

6. Pointbreakd

Pointbreakd Member

Eh I disagree. I've seen/heard some of their live stuff and their guitarist is in fact pretty nasty (they do a sick cover of foreplay/longtime). The 2 guitarist and singer (aka rascal flatts) are all sick musicians.

And to call any of those guys "Pretty boys" is a little odd. They are probably the ugliest 3 guys I've ever seen they just dress really trendy.

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Wow.... That can't be an XTC tone. I've owned the 100B, 101B and Classic and none of them had that raw Marshall tone I'm hearing in the "life is a highway" video. This is very interesting to say the least. Thanks for the information guys. Any other knowledge out there please share....

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Aaah....I'm not sure but I think he was refurring to Keith Urban. Otherwise I would've had to agree with you. LOL

9. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I took my GF to Rascal Flatts back in April, and Joe Don?? was using a few Bogners, and seems to use them exclusively. I think Keith Urban uses Matchless and Bad Cat.

I have to agree with Pointbreakd as well. These guys are the real deal as far as talent goes. Periodically throughout the show, the lead singer would take a break, and the bass player and guitar player would take over the show and play some excellent covers. The bass player is a fantastic musician, and has an incredible voice to boot. He jumped on a grand piano at one point and played and sang "Rocket Man," which sounded awesome.

I'm not a fan of country music by any means, but it's guys like the Rascal Flatts, Brad Paisley, etc. that really impress me as musicians. It seems that country music has a hold of some of the better musicians today. Newer bands that have come out in the pop/rock arena just dont seem to be cutting it these days, except for guys like John Mayer; he's doing a pretty good job of keeping blues and rock in the forefront.

10. reaiken

reaiken Member

It's funny, but country music has the best rock tones in music these days, and a lot of them just flat-out smoke on the guitar.
    I want a Tele like Keith Urban's in his video with that hot McDonald's commercial girl. :)

Randall Aiken

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I'm currently playing for a 35 year old recording artist. His music is commercial cross-over material. If you are over 28, country is the olny genre where you can get a record deal, if you don't allready have one. Hence, I'm no longer concerned with my classic rock and blues sound. I now use a modeling pedal to go from clean AC-30 with compression (country) sounds, to Mesa with chorus, flanger, wah and echo type sounds, to modern US high gain (Peavey) sounds.

12. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

For some reason I thought Rascal Flats was using 65AMPS for a bit...huh.

13. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Joe Don's engaged to the 2005 Playmate of the Year. Oh to be that ugly LOL!

14. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

The great thing about Danny is he never gets "married" to any peice of gear. He will use any amp/guitar to get the sound he is after. High gain, to a Twin, to direct, Amp Farm and everything in between. He pretty much hipped Keith to the P90/LP Jr. Not saying he ain't picky. He has a great ear and is a dern fine engineer. If he leans any direction it would be toward Soldanos or AC30's for amps and "Strat style" (S/S/S, H/S/S) guitars. He is one of those guys that could string chicken wire to a fence post and we all would have to have one.
    I have no idea what is being used on "Highway". I would be willing to bet the rhythm/chunking is Dann, tho Joe does play a respectable amount of the parts on the RF records. This gots me interested and I need to holler at the boy anyway.....
    BZT

15. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

haha, i dont know about you guys, but keith urban was a singer song writer as well as an insanely good guitar player way before the "golden road" album that made him famous. If you dont believe he's playing those guitar parts just watch "live from the bluebird cafe" on turner south where he plays. It was recorded about 8 years ago and the guy blows the other two out of the water. IF you ask me, he's the real deal....IMO of course

16. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

He's a fantastic player. Did/does a lot of session work too. But blow Dann Huff out of the water? Um. No.

17. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Have seen Kieth Urban twice ,once with Dann Huff and the last time w/ some dark curly haired guy. All three were smokin guitarists, last time Kieth was using 2 bogner shiva's w/ a couple of bad cats that were not even fired up!(just eye candy I guess.)

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I saw Keith Urban live and it appeared he was using the Bad Cat amps at that. At least they were the only one's I could see and they were lit up. But his playing was blistering and effortless! I was extremely impressed with how talented that guy was and just HOW GOOD a guitarist he really was. This guys not just a singer that can play guitar....He's a guitarist that sings IMHO.:eek:

19. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

BTW....would still love to find out "exacty" what the rig was on that Rascal Flatts "life is a highway" track.

20. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

It is probably a combination of Bogner and an old Plexi. Go to www.trailertrashpedalboards.com and the Gallery to see the current live rig-it is massive!