Rat clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by beckyjc, Feb 18, 2009.

1. beckyjc

beckyjc Member

I'm looking for something to replace my Russian big muff, I'm getting tired of the noise and how brittle it gets. A future investment once i get some money and replace my delay and pick up a Devi fuzz. I've always been a fan of the Rat, I tried one of the Vintage RI's Big Box ones in store a while ago and loved it. But i've heard the new rats live no where near up to the expectations of even the older small box rats.

I'm not really a distortion whore, normally a clean player or light OD, so I don't want to be spending ridiculous amounts. Just something that will give me nice thick punchy rhthym tones and I can get a decent lead tone from.

I've had a look around at Freakshow, CMATMODS, etc. while they look great, still a bit on the expensive side, something < £100, i'm wondering if there any clones still worldwide available that dont have the 3 way clipping stages? I'm only really after the classic LM308 circuit. I can't try these pedals out, there are no local shops that stock anything close.

I'm debating just going for the BYOC kit, as i'm getting quite handy with the soldering iron, but the 6 different stages just wont get used. I can't really sit there a build a clone from scratch myself, I don't have the patience or knowledge to gather the parts myself. Didn't BYOC used to make a straight up 3 knob clone of the rat?

If there isnt anything like that could you reccomend something close to what i'm asking?

The Biyang/Moen pedals look decent for the money, i'm pretty sure anything would satisfy me more than the muff at the moment, but i can't find any reliable reviews on the distortions.

2. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'd say, just go for the BYOC. The old version was 3 knob with a 3 way toggle for different clipping; which is what most of the boutique clones have. The new one has the 6 way switch which offers the same 3 clipping options with the other 3 moving the clipping stage and giving more of an OD flavor. Even if you won't use all 6, or have no need for the OD, settings, the 3 Rat settings are worth it alone (symmetrical, asymmetrical, LED-turbo; which surprisingly turned out to be my favorite).

I think in the end you'll be happy you did it.

3. beckyjc

beckyjc Member

Thanks for that, after some scrounging on ebay, looks like BYOC is going to be the way to go, was it an easy build? Ive never really sone much work with PCBs besides a moisture detector i had to build for design when i was 14. I've rewired my tele after the previous owner spazzed up the wiring. It's pretty satisfying to work with my own hands, that I don't have a problem with. Just the nagging doubt i'm going to wire it all up plug it in and find out it doesn't turn on. :(

I allready have a catalinbread SK i use for OD/Boosting. So im not sure i'd get much use out of the other settings. Would it be possible for me to install a 3 way switch later on just for asthetics if I'm not digging the other settings?

4. charmboy

charmboy Member

It's not too bad. You get a free confidence booster kit to practice on with your first order. It sounds like you have more soldering experience than me so you should be fine. Plus, it's an addicting hobby with a truly great payoff. I've got the BYOC Tremolo and Mouse on my board right now and have built 2 GGG Big Muffs for friends... About to build the tonebender clone. Heck the cost of all those kits combined is still less expensive than some boutique pedals and man, they really do sound just as good.

5. Agramal

Agramal Member

What's the bypass on them like though?

6. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

The Chupacabra is a Rat clone, I don't have one but would like to get hold of one. I have no idea if it's any good good but I'm just throwing the suggestion in the ring. IT's also failry inexpensive as you can buy it without the decals or flash it up with the swirly colours more more $$$.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Lovekraft Chupacabra, great pedal...I just didn't have a need for it. If I was playing STP or that type of music on a regular basis I would have kept it.

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I want to try a Lovekraft Chupacabra but every time I see one that annoying song starts playing in my head: "I get knocked down, but I get up again . . ."

Ok, I realize it's not actually called a Chumbawamba but it's close enough to annoy me! :)

TG

9. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

GGG makes a Rat clone kit (Rodent, I believe).

10. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I just ordered a Lovekraft Chupacabra. I had an old 80's Rat that I sold years ago...it sounded pretty sweet. Hopefully, I'll have the Chupa in my hands soon.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

From my experience, the Chupa was a decent sounding high gain box. Not real smooth but nothing like a real Rat. Nowhere near as fuzzy/hairy. So if that's what your after...I dunno if the Chupa is gonna do that for you.

Don't forget the Vodka modded Rat2...if I were going for a Rat tone, that's probably the one I would try next. Or the Brown Rabbit. Or just buck up for an MOD. I've had a stock R2, Keeley and almost did a Monte Allums mod. Sold all of those though.

12. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

I've tried several clones and mods, but the Vodka-modded and the big box RI have that tone that I expect from a RAT. Vodka-modded just gives you a little more to play with than the RI, but the RI is excellent as you already know.

13. beckyjc

beckyjc Member

I had originally the brown rabbit or the vintage RI in mind. But my money doesnt seem to be going far these days.

The lovekraft looks good. Ill have a look around for some clips later on. And the GGG is deffinately on my list of things to consider, looks a bit simpler than the byoc, too, and the smaller box option could be helpfull for pedal board room, cant find any clips though.

Premodded rats and modding my own rat doesnt sound too much of a turn on after keeley stopped selling there rat because proco started making them in china out of toilet paper. Apparently.

I've got plenty of time to think about it, anyway, i appreciate the help guys. :)

14. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

O hai becky, this is faz.

I've heard the BYOC and GGG kits are pretty good.

15. beckyjc

beckyjc Member

Get back to UG. :p

Im thinking the byoc/ggg are on the top of my list now.

16. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

TGP > UG. :p

I've been looking for some sort of Rat. I'd probably end up going BYOC.

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd just get a RAT.

18. beckyjc

beckyjc Member

I've noticed, plus everyone seems to have much better gear, which is probably worse for me in the long run. Tell me how it goes if you get the BYOC, I need someone to test the water for me. :p

^Im too worried about QC and it not living up to my expectations to just go out and get a plain old rat.

19. Fatso Forgotso

Fatso Forgotso Member

Yeah, people here are kinda more helpful too.

And sure. :p

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

You can buy a prebuilt BYOC mouse for $130 here:

http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page1.html