RAT Distortion - which is the best version?

monty

. Also ive been curious about peoples comments on the preference for the older circuits, seems like they might be counterintuitive for a band mix, compared to the current production.
The old ones absolutely swashbuckle through the mix.

rawkguitarist

Cmatmods Ratified, the best I tried. I like it better than foxpedal wrath, proco rat and soothsayer.
I have the original version, The Black Plague, and although I haven't done a lot of comparisons it is a great pedal. And years ago it was touted as a very legit version of the best old RAT's. Hum? I should play through it tonight....

JohnSilver7

I have the original version, The Black Plague, and although I haven't done a lot of comparisons it is a great pedal. And years ago it was touted as a very legit version of the best old RAT's. Hum? I should play through it tonight....
Well I think it was based on a old schematics from the proco factory so yeah vintage goodness and modern versatility :)

TheGuildedAge

I just stuck my fat rat on the board with industrial strength velcro, so I guess I am happy.

I do have an lm308 lying around but haven't bothered yet.

idnotbe

1. best Rat : early 80's big box with tone knob
super well balanced (proper amount of bass, no piercing high) and great for any application.
i haven't played fringe Rat.

2. best Rat clone : VFE Alpha Dog
i owned Soothsayer and Shorebird.
but VFE is the best sounding and the closest to big box Rat i mentioned above with the tone tweaking features.

Last edited:

pnwkiwi

Rat Pak from Big Knob Pedals. Handmade Whiteface (LM308) with Turbo switch in an MXR sized enclosure. Made right here in NorCal. Golden.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Best RAT I tried is also the cheapest
Caline CP-34 Headroom - (all RAT modes too)
Can't say enough good things about this pedal
I just got the caline head room. Absolutely amazing and way better voicing than my Black Secret. My beef is mine came brand new with the jankiest, *******st toggle switch. Id pay probably triple for the caline but with high quality switches that will hold up.

ES330

I just got the caline head room. Absolutely amazing and way better voicing than my Black Secret. My beef is mine came brand new with the jankiest, *******st toggle switch. Id pay probably triple for the caline but with high quality switches that will hold up.
Get what you pay for I guess...
Good news is they're so cheap, you can buy another :)
I use all the time and the switch still works...

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting this! I guess I had a Rat2 for a long time, I think I got it in 88, it replaced my square wave distortion box that had died, and I used it until around 02. It was my main and only distortion option, I couldn’t afford anything else! A few years ago I bought a VFE alpha dog, but I didn’t love it, I was in the midst of my fuzz search. I also had a little bear rat, and again I didn’t bond with it b/c of my search for fuzz... but I may buy another sometime!

Here's a good source for info. on Rat pedals.......

http://ratdistortion.com/topic/about

I had an original Rat pedal years ago, sold it and started using a (Made in England) Marshall Guv'nor that I've had on my pedal-board since the 90's.

I had recently bought a (like new/used in box) Ibanez TS-9 and really didn't like the sound of it on my rig and traded it for a Rat 2 pedal.

I honestly don't know how close the Rat 2 is to the original Rat I had years ago, but it sounds decent and is on my pedal-board now.