RAT Distortion - which is the best version?

twisty571

Silver Supporting Member
set this up before class today & pretty much zoned out on the RAT into the channel settings on the new to me Mesa. The Tonebender came this morning & waiting on a Cioks to arrive for my bigger board.

Auxjoel

I've had a lot of current boutique clones of Rats. And to my ears they all seem to add in unnecessary levels of bass And often remove some of that awesome gnarl/sizzle of the top.
my small box 1987 (lm308) and my mates whiteface big box early 90s reissue (also lm308) both sounds perfect and awesome!
please note I'm not saying it's because of the lm308. I've played 5 or 6 current clones that all have lm308s and they sound dull to me.

matt1969

I have own many variants in the past - They all sound great to me. YES even the ones without the LM308 chip sound fantastic.

hafizimran

I have an ‘86 Black Face, an ‘88 RAT2, an ‘85 WFRI, a JAM Rattler (standard version) and a JAM Rattler ltd (with the metal can IC). All the ProCos are within 5% of each other so just get a late 80s or early 90s RAT2 if you want the original sound.

My favourite is the standard Rattler though. It’s gnarly without trying to deviate too much from the originals.

Atdi2000

Wish I had a Beavis FKR, I’m going to try a Fat Rat next or just buy a Turbo Rat and call it a day.
I ended up buying a turbo, you dirty, fat, and 85 wfri and I use whichever one the occasion calls for. I also bought a pigtronix keymaster and run eq, boost, od, fuzz, clean signal in parallel or in series and make different sounds as needed. If you need one pedal for a gigging board, I get wanting your "best". If your recording or jamming, buy several options and don't worry about the "best".

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up buying a turbo, you dirty, fat, and 85 wfri and I use whichever one the occasion calls for. I also bought a pigtronix keymaster and run eq, boost, od, fuzz, clean signal in parallel or in series and make different sounds as needed. If you need one pedal for a gigging board, I get wanting your "best". If your recording or jamming, buy several options and don't worry about the "best".
Yep my gigging days are past me, i just need one to kick out the jams!

etc

I've got a Soothsayer on the board currently. I dont know about "best" but it's a super good one for sure. I also like the SUF Rat clone very much as well.

Reactions: F12

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I’m wondering if any Rat lovers have had a chance to try the new mini Proco Rat.

OotMagroot

I've had a lot of current boutique clones of Rats. And to my ears they all seem to add in unnecessary levels of bass And often remove some of that awesome gnarl/sizzle of the top.
my small box 1987 (lm308) and my mates whiteface big box early 90s reissue (also lm308) both sounds perfect and awesome!
please note I'm not saying it's because of the lm308. I've played 5 or 6 current clones that all have lm308s and they sound dull to me.
Oh yes, this is my complaint too. They remove the sizzle and then claim the pedal sounds 'more open' but often times it is too dark at that point with not enough available treble on the filter knob. Now, for alot of situations this can be a good thing, but I prefer the stock filter range.

OotMagroot

I keep coming back to my Kinnatone RAT2 mischief 3x3x3 mod. But, I'm using it with the mods turned off, so it's in stock mode :facepalm. The Kinnatone fella put a LM308 in it. It has a turbo mode, germanium and mosfet clipping and bass boost options.

If you like options, you owe it yourself to find an Earthbound Audio Iron Pig. It has the old-style, metal can looking LM308 (cool that it's in there, but I don't think it is making any crazy sonic contributions) and options to change clipping and includes the Turbo mode.

Stacatto

I ended up buying a Fat Rat that's still being shipped. The comments on TGP and other forums has quite a few folks satisfied with the Op-Amp (OP07DP) with the non-solder aspect, fat and mosfet features of this pedal.

The large box will be on a minimalist board, so it may not be a deal breaker.

soniqfreq

Love my Whiteface reissue. High quality build and that classic Rat sound. Only downside is the faithfulness to the original form...big feet and battery cover need to be removed to get it flat onto my board. No LED makes for some interesting moments.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
Just picked up an 88 small box for $49. Thought I’d flip it but I guess I’ll keep it.

That Pedal Show did a good episode on different Rat versions and clones. I think the Rattler was a standout in their minds and I’d have to agree from what I was hearing.