Rat II-stock vs Keeley-worth the mod?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage66, May 12, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a Rat II late '90's that already has the Lm308 chip. It sounds great with my Jcm800 as an overdrive but not good with my Traynor Ycv40wr-kind of raspy. I tried a recent Keeley Rat II (Chinese I assume) with a boutique Fender-style amp with no master volume so it was pretty much clean. The Keeley sounded great with that. I don't like mine through a clean amp-like I said too raspy.

What else is changed with the Keeley mod other than the chip, which mine already has? I know there's a 3-way switch. I'm wondering if I should get the mod done. Will my stock sound be there plus 2 other sounds or will the stock sound be changed/improved also? I am kind of afraid of losing my stock sound with the Marshall but the other pedal sounded so nice with that Fender style amp....

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

The Keeley mod doesn't smooth it out too much, so if you're looking for less raspy, I don't think it'll solve your problem. The big wins are in the bass response, clarity, and openness world.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

More bass response would be good too. It's hard to compare since I played on at a store with a different amp. I do know I really liked the one that was already modded. I think by raspy I might be describing the lack of bass-I do want it kind of "ratty" sounding-not smooth like a tube screamer.

I'm still thinking of chancing it-any chance I won't like it as much after the mod or is it pretty universal that it's an improvement? 3 modes would be cool, as well as maybe being able to use it with my Traynor, which I don't do now, if it sounds anywhere as good as the one I tried with the Fendery amp.

4. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I'd buy used, were it me. You can pick up a Keeley Rat for just a few bucks more than a stock one, have a better RAT, and save a ton on the mods.
    YMMV

El Steve-0

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I already have a late '90's one with the Lm308. I guess that's really the question-since I already have that chip, is it worth the money for the rest of the mods since the chip will stay the same.