• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Rat in a MXR sized box?

monty

Looking for a mid eighties whiteface rat sounding box. I use mine in the higher dirt settings and would like to retire it from my main board. Tried a bunch of dirt boxes, none seem the same.
Would like it in a MXR sized box too. Does anyone know of a good fit? Thanks.

monty

Thanks guys, I just checked those out. Looking for something maybe under a hundred, should have mentioned that.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
VFE Alpha Dog. Not under $100 but one of the cheaper Rat clones and seems to be the most versatile. If you wait for Pyrmaxe or PGS to have one of their (frequent) 15% off sales, you can get it for about $120.

You're probably not going to get a good WF Rat clone for cheaper than that unless you go the BYOC rout and even then you're not going to save that much over the VFE pedal, which again has probably the most features, enabling you to get most Rat type tones/eras in one box.

I'm looking to get one soon myself to compliment my WF Rat RI thats coming in the mail. Those 2 should be more than enough Rattage for me...

joe_k

if you are good with a soldering iron you can go with the GGG or BYOC clones and grab yourself an LM308 to stick in there. probably won't get much better for the price.

Magicpad

I don't have any experience with this company, but it looks like Mooer Audio is coming our with a RAT / Turbo RAT clone in an even smaller enclosure. Looks to be the same size as a Malekko Omicro / EP booster.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I don't have any experience with this company, but it looks like Mooer Audio is coming our with a RAT / Turbo RAT clone in an even smaller enclosure. Looks to be the same size as a Malekko Omicro / EP booster.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Naw, I have the OD and the Distortion and while they are both great sounding boxes, neither sound like a rat.
Thats because the badass '78 is a tricked out DS-1 and the badass OD is a tricked out TS.

Godspeed64

Dunno about the Mooer.. But:

1590A enclosure by NicoFX.

I know these are beyond your budget but I'll post so that other people who are interested and are willing to spend could find out too:
CMATmods Ratified (previously Black Plague)
Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit
JAM Pedals Rattler
Lovekraft Chupacabra
VFE Alpha Dog
Landgraff MO'd
B.Y.O.C Mighty Mouse
GGG Rat
Kimjawbettas Rutt (err from Thailand, interesting that it mixes Rat and Muff elements)
Ibanez Fat Cat
Monte Allums OD308
RetroSonic Distortion

At the top of my head.

Top Bottom