Rat-like pedal with more chunk?

Recently tried one of the cheaper Rat clones again and I love the aggressive nastiness, borderline fuzz tone and how it sits in a dense mix, but the low end feels so limp - there’s no chunk or power behind any chugs, palm mutes etc. Turbo mode is better but still not ideal - it feels and sounds like a pedal. Vintage mode is particularly rubbish for anything but lead.

Wondering if there’s anything out there that captures the vibe of a Rat but with a more big “amp-like” feel and response to big heavy chords and riffs?

jvin248

Put another pedal in front of the Rat. Boost or distortion.
I have the Black Rat clone in normal mode being fed with a 'golden horse' Klon clone and it makes a huge difference. If you have a Tube Screamer, DS-1, or other pedals they can work too -- trick is you don't need to dime all the gain knobs. Often less than 50% on two pedals is better than either one dimed.

Last edited:

guitarman3001

If you're talking about low to medium gain, before it turns into a fuzz, check out the Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal.

bulbasaur_85

I'm not sure if any Rat copy I've seen has a two or three band eq, but I'm sure that would help the low end. I've found the 1981 DRV to have a bid more mid range body and low end versus my early 90's rat.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
I sometimes use my Russian muff w/ my modes DS-1, it sounds great!!!

Gillespie1983

The RAT, like most distortions, has a bass cut. You can mod your pedal for less cut or find an op amp distortion with an adjustable bass cut.
This. I Replaced the 2.2 uF electrolytic cap (that feeds the 47 ohm resistor) with a 4.7 uF electrolytic cap. Actually, I added a 2-way toggle to switch between the 2.2 uF and a 4.7 uF to be able to keep the original circuit. 4.7uF changes the low-cut to begin at ~720Hz; the 2.2uF starts the rolloff at ~1539 Hz. Be aware that more "beef" in the low end often comes across as woolly.
I like the 2.2 uF sound with Humbuckers and the 4.7 uF with a vintage power Strat. freq formula 1/(2*PI*Capacitance*Resistance)

Tootone

There is another thing you can try... Amp EQ.

It depends on the Amp and Speaker/Cab response but worth a try.

Reducing Treble will sometimes increase bass and vice versa. You just need to experiment.

NHBluesMan

I'm not sure if any Rat copy I've seen has a two or three band eq, but I'm sure that would help the low end. I've found the 1981 DRV to have a bid more mid range body and low end versus my early 90's rat.
Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot has added EQ (bass and treble controls IIRC)

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot has added EQ (bass and treble controls IIRC)
I have been curious about that one and the new Dual Drive, which is a TS into a Rat. I emailed the builder about getting one today. The DD doesn't have all the eq features though, only a tone knob.

Trending Topics