Rat-like pedal with more chunk?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Riffzilla, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Boosting doesn’t help at all. If anything the low cut and mid boost compression of the TS just makes it sound even narrower and more pedal like. I want it to open up and have a larger less focused sound.

Big Muff isn’t really what I think of when I think of palm muted riffs. It’s too smooth and wooly. I want raw and chunky :) 18V fat rat sounds like it might be worth trying if I can find one.

Abram4235 likes this.
  2. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

Boosting a RAT with a TS will add saturation and cut even more bass which is not what you want. If you like the RAT sound but just want more EQ shaping use an...EQ

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  3. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

I find a good compressor bumps the bass up a few notches. I have a Carl Martin that is very nice.

4. JesterR

JesterR Member

You can take a look on Catalinbread Katzenkonig. It still has low-cut, but, anyway, if you want chunky sound, you need some sort of bass cut. But maybe, if you need a lot more thickness, maybe you should try some other circuit.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Reutz mod adds bass at the expense of some gain. However, there is plenty of gain on tap.

6. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

This, or the Bixonic Expandora with external switches. It’s a Rat with a switchable bass boost.

Gillespie1983 likes this.
  7. Tootone

Tootone Member

Thinking title is an oxymoron...

If its thick and bassy with less cut it can't be RAT-Like.

Have a listen to some demos of the other RAT pedals... You Dirty RAT, Fat RAT and TurboRAT.... you might find something more there.

Gillespie1983 likes this.
  8. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Maybe a Emma Reeza. I'd say the drive is in a RAT vein and the V1, which is what I've got, have a good deal more bottom end than my RAT

Lupus87 likes this.
  9. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

Emma Reezafratzitz as above user suggested is way more amp-like than RAT.

A Barber Direct Drive at max gain share some RAT-like compression and singing lead tone. Not much bass at all.

Around RAT circuit I would suggest ARC Soothsayer. Has several clipping options a and a lot more bass than regular RAT. Also it comes with the lm308n and hi and low gain options.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Zola likes this.
  10. stonecabin

stonecabin Member

As above, ARC Soothsayer!

Zola likes this.
  11. h-pr

h-pr Member

Try the Fat RAT. Anything else with more chunk lacks the RAT vibe. The RAT vibe largely consists of not having too much chunk.

12. Zola

Zola Member

Soothsayer +1

Swiss army rat!

13. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Yeah, maybe I just don’t want a Rat. I think I like the mid/high end content and gritty raw flavour of the Rat distortion, it’s just the low end I wish felt bigger and more like amp distortion. Feels like it sits on top of my amp tone (Marshall Jubilee set on edge of breakup).

Turbo rat is definitely closer to what I want, but still sounds a bit “narrow” like a pedal. Can a normal rat run at 18v or does it need to be the fat version?

14. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

Cranking up the gain on a Rat definitely makes it thicker and chunkier, but it also makes it looser in the lows and makes it sound more like a fuzz. I like boosting it with something like my DigiTech CM-2. It has a bass knob, which lets you dial in how much bass you want shaved off before it hits the Rat. It really tightens things up for palm mutes, but yeah, it won’t have much low end left when you’re done. If your amp isn’t providing that low end, you could add an EQ after the Rat, but then you’re looking at three pedals for your dirt sound, which might be a little unwieldy. It may just be that the Rat isn’t what you’re looking for.

Edited to add that in the demos I’ve heard, the Mr. Black Thunderclaw sounded like a fatter, chunkier Rat to me

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  15. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Check out the Idiotbox Blower Box. It's a super charged, heavy Rat.

chankgeez likes this.
  16. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I keep saying this in all RAT threads, but Walrus Iron Horse. It can get REALLY fat.

- though, come to think of it, this mostly depends on how much gain you're using. The RAT becomes bassier/heavier as you increase the gain.

17. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

JHS Andy Timmons pedal. Chug city

18. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

19. ryanougrad

ryanougrad Member

20. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

FWIW I use the "Wide Asymetrical" clipping option on the Fulldrive 3 (the black one) for a chunky Rat-like tone.