Rat on 9 o'clock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Can you guys recommend a distortion that has the feel of my Rat. I never run the gain hagher than 9-10 oclock and it is a great OD, but a little treble-y and the tone knob dulls the sound too much.
    Any help?

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

3. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Member

Timmy.

I don't know from experience, but have heard that a Timmy can sound like a more "finely tuned" low-drive Rat setting. With its EQ abilities you should be able to dial in a less-trebly tone.

Search the alt.country thread....

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The Rat's been my favorite drive for at least a decade. I run it the same way that you do. I similar but more refined vibe is the Barber Direct Drive. It's kind of a mix between a TS and a Rat so it has more mids. It has plenty of gain on tap but isn't as smooth (scooped) as the Rat. I' get one with the MOD Board so you can tweak it...I wish I could dial more treble into mine. I think Barber makes or made a DD with less gain. You may want to look into that.

5. Kalik

Kalik Member

Try the Barber LTD.

6. Lolaviola

How about a Xotic BB it seems like a warmer Rat...hmmm.

7. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Is your Rat stock? I have a Keeley Rat and keep it on the "Phat Rat" setting - nice, fat distortion.

8. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

that has been my secret. i never EVER run my rat past 10. It is the ultimate OD. In my opinion after that it just becomes an ordinary pedal.

9. 89strat

89strat Member

I agree!

I've been using the same pedal for well over ten years and never above 10:00. The other controls, however, seem to change each time I fire up the amp. Then I realized the beauty of this pedal. the true power is in the volume as much as the gain. Keep that volume up at just above unity which for me is somewhere between 2-3 o'clock. Drive up about 10:00. filter also about 2-3 o'clock.

I just went through this whole shoot out with my band at various practices with an OCD ver. 4, gt-500, barber direct drive, and a Jekyll and Hyde and we all chose the RAT. It just seems to sit with the mix better than anything else. Each of the others are good at various things, but the RAT works for everything. Of course this is my personal opinion..blah..blah....blah.

10. Lolaviola

Well you pro'ly nailed it: You gave it the band volume test. Sometimes too shrill in bedroom, translates to cutting thru a band mix.

11. griley

griley Member

Do the Ruetz pot mod to your rat, it lets you control the treble boost before the clipping (stock is a pretty hefty boost), allowing you to reduce the treble and gain in one go. It's pretty simple to do and worked wonders for my rat.
    Link: http://www.diyguitaramp.com/rat.html

The site above shows the pot as a 1k trim pot but I used a 1k rev log mounted externally, like so;
    [​IMG]

12. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Not exactly suggesting you another overdrive, but if you like the sound of your Rat at 9 or 10 o'clock, then try an EQ pedal. IMO, the Rat's characteristic at low-gain levels is unbeatable. I've hardly heard any other pedals that can match its tone so if that's what you like about it, keep it and try adjusting more bass with an EQ (ie. maybe a BBE Sonic Stomp).

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

EQ before or after the low-gain RAT?

14. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

These two are nothing alike! Had them both, but only the Rat remains :)

15. jcs

jcs Member

love my 80s small box rat set to 10 oclock on the distortion, mine has the 'clip mod' and sounds faboulous thru my 71 smallbox 50,the 73 carlsbro 60 tc,my 66 princeton,my 71 super reverb,67 ampeg gemini 2 etc...

eric johnson needs to use a great version of a rat with an early metalface 50 marshall for leads!

16. highfive!

highfive! Member

You must be talking about a reissue. My original Big Box is anything but an "ordinary pedal" after 10oc. It's some of the gnarliest, richest, most organic distortion I've ever come across. I did a shootout a while back between a 90's vintage reissue (LM308) and my big box (with the tone knob), and, while the reissue was still a Rat, and a step above most others in it's class, they were almost two different pedals. Needless to say, the reissue did tend to sound like an "ordinary pedal" in the wee hours. But those 80's Rats... gotta dime em and love em once in a while.

17. Sol

Sol Member

I saw a picture of part of David Gilmour's setup using 7 band eq's for each Rat, I think three in total.

18. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Big fan of a low-gain RAT, too. Recently acquired a Hartman LM308 distortion, and it's a great pedal. Has 2 independent channels to really get you where you want to be while retaining the RAT character. Gets my recommendation.

19. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

how about adjusting the guitar's tone knob.

20. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Timmy! At max gain, my timmy sounds like a rat that's had a tune up and is set in between half and two thirds gain (no fizz, more transperant, lets the amp and guitar shine through). I've done a thorough comparison of the Timmy and rat, and Timmy hands down beats it for every low-to-mid gain tone. The only thing Timmy can't do "better" (better being 100% subjective to the listener) is the cranked distortion.