Rat or Crunchbox for shoegazer distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by raul, May 12, 2008.

1. raul

raul Member

which one is better for that big wall of sound kind of distortion? playing with an EL84 based amp and an Edwards LP Standard copy or Tele. Rat or Crunchbox...?
    would this pedal also do shoegazer distortion with a Fender Super Reverb?

2. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Well I vote for.. da Rat..Had one for a short while. Vintage untouched and sweet ass hellfire!
    But alas, I had to give it back..the thing other than it was perfect, was the lender bought it from a friend of mine for $15.00

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I think a Rat (older model w/ LM308 op amp) is the best distortion ever (and I've got tons of boutique stuff). Try one, you can get 'em pretty cheep.

Not one of my favs but when I think of shoegaze tone, I think of a Big Muff.

4. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I havn't tried the crunchbox, but I've had vintage rats, keeley rats, turbo rats, and I found they all worked really well into clean fender amps.
    I know a few shoegazer bands use Fuzz factories as well, I use one and it is awesome. You get some really cool and different sounds whereas sometimes the rat can seem a bit "generic"...IMO

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

What's a shoegazer band??[​IMG]

6. Burgs

Burgs Member

Here's another one for the mix: The Penny Pedals Fingerprint. I've got one and it maybe everything you require. And it looks too good to step on.

7. Burgs

Burgs Member

Ride, Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine et al. They sadly died off years ago due to depression and malnutrition (well, they looked like they might..). Some of their members can now be seen in other roles, in other bands. The music was brooding, often subtly melodic, sublime, subliminal, pre sub-pop. There was some good stuff there. Fuzz - lot's of fuzz.

8. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

Have both, use the Rat way more. It's a bit more versatile. For heavy shoe gazer type distortion you might try a Big Muff (as mentioned above). Never owned one but...I dig that stuff, especially Martin Carr, who I think used a Big Muff or maybe a Big Cheese.

FWIW I have a Fuzz Factory, and I can't get the shoe gaze feel out of it. It is a complicated little box and I am quite impatient.:D

Either will gives gobs of distortion and the rest is up to you, and maybe a delay pedal.

9. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

i'd recommend a big muff as well as it really would suite the genre a lot better although rats seems to be a very versatile distortion and you might be able to get the tone out of it.

10. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I'm voting for Rat, seeing as Rats and especially Turbo Rats were pretty much what EVERYBODY was using back in the day when shoegazer ruled the earth... Muff for stacking and layering, but Rat for basic shoegazer tones.

11. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

12. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

I still haven't found an ideal shoegaze distortion. I have a Rat 2, but it sounds a bit too "rock". I have a Big Muff, which is better for imitating Dinosaur Jr, or Explosions in the Sky, but less so for the bands you mentioned. The Fuzz Factory and its cheaper bastard cousin, the Zoom Ultra Fuzz, can both get you into early JAMC territory, but overall, I've found that fuzzes don't really work well for the "wall of distortion with ringing open string tunings" that characterize My Bloody Valentine type shoegaze. The harmonics seem to get lost. The closest I've gotten to that kind of shoegaze sound seems to be a stock DS-1 into modulated reverb, but I know that there has to be a better option out there. Swervedriver used the Boss HM-2's pretty extensively, and they can sound very shoegaze with certain settings when played at low volumes, but I can't seem to duplicate the sound with my amp cranked. The Penny Pedals Fingerprint looks promising, but the sound clips have thus far failed to convince me. Overall though, I think you're looking for more of a hi-gain distortion/overdrive rather than a fuzz.

Anybody else have a recommendation? I'm pretty interested in this topic myself.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have the proco rat 2 and the crunchbox and I think the crunch box has more gain...I play a little catherine wheel (werent they the godfathers of shoe gaze) and I use my boss mt-2 or my crunch box...

14. ungarn

ungarn Member

Definitely Rat and Big Muff fuzz...

15. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

I know a lot of newer shoegaze bands use Rats but when I think of shoegaze, I think of fuzz. I think the hard part about replicating the shoegaze wall-of-sound is finding something smooth enough but not too bassy. The Muff is definitely smooth, but maybe too bassy?

I have also not settled on finding a shoegaze sound. I'd really like to as Slowdive is very important to me musically, and have my favorite type of wall-of-sound.

I have been meaning to try my Tone Factor Fuzzsaw in this application. It is as smooth as a Muff to my ears (maybe even moreso), but doesn't scoop out as many mids, and is not as bassy. Andy (gringo) says its strength is rhythm guitar parts. Sounds like it could work.

Prof.Fuzz and Nwlp∅ like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Oh right - what's Shoegazer distortion then ???
    Never heard of it :tapedshut

17. benjammin

benjammin Member

18. TJSmitty

TJSmitty Member

Check out the Fingerprint by Pennypedals; it is exactly what you're looking for. It has the thick, misty, distant character of shoegaze fuzz with the harmonics and dynamics of a distortion pedal. It is more similar to the rat than the crunchbox, but this will give you less cock rock and more scot rock. The Fingerprint looks great, and its a steal of a price for a handpainted pedal too!

[​IMG]

Soundclips and description:
    http://www.pennypedals.com/index.php?page=fingerprint-2

More Photos:
    http://www.pennypedals.com/index.php?page=photo-album

19. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

Get A Boss Hm-2 and Little Big Muff for under $100

20. Burgs

Burgs Member

I tried to tell 'em...

Nwlp∅ likes this.