Rat or the Boss DS-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ides of March, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I was in my garage and found my boss DS-1 in the box. I have been using my Rat 2 pedal but have been having problems with the activating button on it, I think it is sticking because i have to stomp on it two or three times to get it to turn on. Anyway I was wondering if I should replace the Rat with the DS-1, keep them both on the pedalboard or Just keep the Rat, the Tubescreamer and get an overdrive.

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

My friend and I are working on a three in one box using BYOC guts - it will have a TS clone, a RAT clone and a Muff clone.

If those were the only three tones I could have for the rest of my life, I think I'd be okay.

A RAT is the premiere basic high gain unit IMHO. I'd swap the switch on it and stick with it.

3. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Cool, question for ya though Josh, is it easy to clean the switch or replace it? Would I have to order the switch for it if I need a replacement or can i put another one in. Not used to operating on my pedals.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Keep both on the board for sure...very different!

ProCo has the BEST customer service...they would certainly send you a switch and/or repair it if you shipped it to them. Contact their customer service first.

5. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Sounds good, I think the switch may just be sticking. I will try to clean it before I contact Pro Co. Thanks for the info man.

6. jmburke

jmburke Member

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i gigged for years with just a tubescreamer and a large-box reissue rat. you can cover a lot of ground with those two pedals. i had a DS-1 as well, but preferred the rat.

8. redpill

redpill Member

All depends on which one you like better, of course. I like the DS-1, but if you don't, that's the end of that. :)

9. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

Actually i was just listening to clips of the Big Muff and I think it sounds insanely awesome. really dirty and gritty. I think I am gonna buy that and use it with the screamer.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

If you are handy with a soldering iron it's not that hard to replace the switch.

However, if I were you, I'd get a $4 can of contact cleaner and give it a few sprays, work the switch a few times and see what happens. If that doesn't work, swap the switch. While you are in there, if you don't have the LM308 chip, swap that too. Might want to also get some WD-40, spray some on a q-tip and work it around the switch itself on the outer part of the box. Don't let it drip into the switch itself.

As a goof, I once A/B'ed a newer RAT with the full suite of Keeley / MA style mods with one with solely the chip swap. The differences were about nil.

11. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

It depends on where you leave the switch on the Keeley three-way. I've grown very fond of the middle position, which removes one of the clipping diodes. It makes it a bit cleaner and weights the grind in the direction of more second harmonic.

But yeah, the LM308 is vital. Everything else is optional.

12. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I also A/B'ed an old Rat vs a friends Keeley modded one. The main thing I noticed about the mods were increased volume, but there was nothing vital that my old Rat didn't have IMO. I just love the Rat, great pedal.

13. hacker

hacker Member

If your going high gain, Id use the Rat, more versatile. If fact, if your going low-gain, I'd use the Rat, its smoother. Moderate gain, Rat.

So basically, Rat.

Mr_Derp likes this.
  14. blood5150

blood5150 Member