RAT Pedals - What's The Big Deal ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Mar 14, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

Can someone educate me on the RAT series pedals. Been playing a long time but never came across the RAT pedals. Are they any good? What's their nitch in the market?

I play classic rock.

Thanks

2. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

They can be used for any kind of classic distortion. I still have my 1986 RAT that was given to me as a gift from my parents for that Christmas.

It got me through my hair metal days.:D

However they can be used for all forms of music. Scofield is using one now and has been for a while. IMO they are a little midrangey, but they cut through a mix real nice, and if you cut back on the distortion and crank the level it made for a great boost with my Marshall.

It was too nasaly (sp?) for my Rivera though, but with enough tweeking I don't think it would take long to get a good sound. But for me, they don't make them like they used to. They just don't sound as good as my original. Just my opinion though. I have a friend that swears by the new ones.

3. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I agree with Cottoeyedjoe...they don't seem to sound like the ones from the 80's. I have had mine for more than 20 years, I bought it used. it was my only distortion/overdrive pedal until about a year ago. I am really into my Barber Direct Drive at this time. I will never get rid of my Rat.

Mark

4. Mad John

Mad John Member

I will take a stab. I have my original 1985 and a 1993 Pro Co RAT. The 93', I am going to get moded this spring.

Back in the day where all I had was a 1969 Les Paul, Crybaby , RAT and 1981 Twin Reverb......well, that WAS my sound!

The RAT was not so much a rock distortion for me, but a very organic sustaining tool that aided in my guitars natural sound. The RAT can work like a boost, overdrive , distortion, ect, but with the tone control (which I always had at like 11:00 rolling off shrillish treble) , made it easy to produce a growling, full and more natural sound than any distortion pedal that I had ever heard.

5. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

P90Nut: I've had a Barber Direct Drive....Loved it....How is the Rat different?

6. 89strat

89strat Member

Love my Rat. Mine's from the 80's. I've gone through a ton of stuff but keep coming back to my RAt. It's funny, someone else mentioned the Direct Drive. That's not the first time I heard the two mentioned at the same time. That's the only other pedal I come back to. I don't think they sound alike, but they share similar qualities like the sustaining midrange that really makes you guitar sing.

7. onionpalac

onionpalac Member

8. mrt

mrt Member

I just got one, a keeley modded one for 80 bucks, I have NO idea what the year is?.. It seems to have a nice thick overdrive tone,

It sounds great with in front of my DSL.

But I still dont understand why the older ones go for 3 times as much as a newer one?

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have both so I'll give it a go- first of all, the Rat is grittier sounding than the Direct Drive which is smoother sounding although the DD can be dialed in to have some bite as well. The Rat has more gain on tap, and can be almost fuzzlike if you want it to be- nice thing about the DD is that the gain is useable throughout the knob's entire spectrum. Both are very versatile and can do low to mid gain well. Both are harmonically complex, but the DD is a bit more amplike than the Rat, although not quite as much so, as say something like the OCD. The DD also definitely has a softer, more forgiving attack than the Rat although the Rat can be tamed a bit w/ the filter knob. DD is a bit more midrangey and compressed which helps it to "sing" so well. Both display some Marshall tendencies, but the DD a little bit more so than the Rat. Really love them both but if I could only have one, I'd take the DD.

10. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Member

Because the new ones sound like crap compared to the original early '80s models. Especially the really early ones with the "tone" control instead of the "filter" control.

11. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I have one of the new Rat 2 models and I modded it with the Monte Allums mod kit. I know I'll get trashed for admitting this because the new Rats are supposedly no good, but...
    I sold my Blackstone Appliances Mosfet OD, Keeley SD-1, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, and Zvex Box Of Rock. I love the Rat! It is the sound I was looking for.
    OK, I admit I didn't sell each of them because of the Rat specifically, but the Rat has ended my search. I've used it now for... I can't remember exactly... several months, maybe 5, and I've performed live with it 15 or 20 times, and it does exactly what I want it to do.

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

:jo The new ones don't sound that drastically different than the old ones. I have at least one of every version they have made and they all sound like a Rat.

13. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have only had the newer Rat2 model. I never used it much until the other night. I put it in front of my Solando Astroverb with the pedals distortion about noon and the volume around 3 o' clock, once I dialed in the filter, it was awesome sounding! Cut like a knife and sounded not to far off from the 'Lay it Down' tone I've always loved.