1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

rat sounding od.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Dec 26, 2005.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i want the vintage rat sound.. and im not into old pedals. Are there any other od pedals that sound like an old rat? I'd prefer a boutique pedal.

2. just ken

just ken Member

You're after a Keeley modded Rat. It keeps the original Rat sound, plus two additional "improved" Rat sounds that are stellar.

Ken.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

A keeley rat is a good choice.

Another excellent pedal that can get you there, but take you into other worlds as well, is the catalinbread supercharged overdrive.

www.catalinbread.com for soundclips

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

You may want to talk to seth at dreamtonefx.com He is making sonic replica's of old rat pedals and told me he recently got some old chips in that were used in the originals. Except these rats are gonna use higher grade parts and be true bypass. email is dreamtonefx@frontiernet.net. He can customize it to your sonic needs.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Thumbs WAY up.

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I absolutely love my Keeley RAT. Not really "amp like", but it's a cool "stompbox" type of distortion. Very classic dirt box. You know what you're gonna get... It's raunchy... a little fuzzy... but has a cool midrange bite that sits in a band mix real well.

I prefer it for lead BTW.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Why aren't you into old pedals? The Rats are as good or better than any boutique and are True Bypass if that is a concern. They are also cheaper than boutique stuff. If you want a Rat sound buy a Rat. The only issue you might have with an old Rat is needing to change the switch.

9. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

+1 for the Keeley modded Phat Rat. A little bit of the Rat goes a long way. I like to set the gain right around 9:00, where it just starts to kick in.

10. HHB

HHB Member

I've been using a Barber Direct Drive for my RATish applications these days, less gain than a vintage RAT but I never used much gain on em anyway

11. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

If you can find a Direct Drive SS or get the new version.. they have increased bass response that will get you closer to a rat. My friend has an old small box rat and a/b with my direct drive they are close. The rat is capable of more low end though. I have a SS version now and havent directly compared them

12. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Has anyone compared the Keeley modded Rat to the old small box one? Thinking about the keeley for a backup....

13. MAZ

MAZ Member

I was bummed out by my Keeley RAT when I compared it to a small old Rat. Maybe the one I compared it to was just really happening, but it def. beat the Keeley. It was thicker and well, sorry, but just had the old warm pedal sound vs... the modded new boutique pedal sound (a little hi-fi).

The Keeley was/is still really really great, but the old one won hands down.

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'VE heard that story from LOTS of people. I'm wondering if the guys with the modded ones, have tried the old normal ones? I had a Keeley modded Mt2 that was NO better than a regular mt2, and a Keeley modded ds1 that I felt was worse than a stock ds1.. I do however like my Keeley modded BD2 a lot... Just curious (note: I'm not telling anyone what to like or not to like, but I'm pretty opinionated and based on my own experiences with the above.. I have not tried the Keeley Rat though , but have owned 2 old smallbox Rats )

ERIC

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

It's been a long time since I've played an old small RAT... so I can't really be that reliable. From what I remember, it was real transistory sounding and not real thick. But the Keeley one is less transistory and pretty thick. Completly from memory, which could be way off.

"Thats all I have to say about that...":p

16. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

I collected RATs, mainly 1980s small box, white face (aka the "Jeff Beck" RAT), and also had 3 Keeleys. No comparison, sorry to all Kelley users. Keeley does excellent work, I know.

The Keeleys beat the Rat 2s (LED, glow-in-the-dark logo), but all the early 1980s "proco RAT" logo - not just "RAT" - small box RATs (& not just the "white faces" - in fact my very favorite is from immediately after the "white face") absolutely wiped the floor with the Keeleys (and the Rat 2s), - no contest.

This was patently evident not only at stage volume through high end tube amp rigs but also at home throgh a couple of different small tube practice amps.

I have been gigging several nights a week for 33 years & IMHO there's nothing like an early (pre '87) RAT to get you straight into Jeff Beck, ZZ top, Steve Stevens etc. territory. Work the controls (DON'T dime the gain!) and the guitar volume AND tone, & you'll soon see, erm, I mean hear how...

More info on RAT versions here : -
    http://happybob.com/rstrand/rat/rat_versions.htm

Good luck!

17. cadjack

cadjack Member

You're talking about this one as being the best to your ears, right?
    [​IMG]