Rat Variants: Which One to Choose?

sonatamachine

I'll preface this by saying that I never thought I would find myself loving Rats. I tried a Rat2 when I was a kid first picking up a guitar and ran it through some POS amp, and I absolutely hated it. That fuzzy distortion tone completely overwhelmed the speaker, and I was out. Fast forward over a decade, and I've gotten to try the Rat again through digital emulations. I've been blown away. Now I know I have to have a physical unit for my board, but I'm not sure what I should go with. I'm looking to use it for a gained out lead tone. The Rat alone gets me about 90% of the way to my 'ideal tone' and boosting with a TS gets me about 95% of the way there. I'm looking for just a little less fizz in the highs while still getting that same level of distortion and compression. I was wondering if any of the other rat variants would do the lead thing better than the 'normal' silicon circuits. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tung-Sol Tube

I'm looking for just a little less fizz in the highs while still getting that same level of distortion and compression.
I was going to say Turbo Rat, but I think the LED clipping sounds less compressed. The "Dirty" variant sounds a bit more fuzzy.

I am happy with the Eno Myomorpha since it does both LM308 and LED/Turbo tones (same as Mooer Black Secret et al.).

The Little Bear R. Attack has a germanium diode (Dirty Rat) mode as well, but it added bass and mine had QC issues.

I don't know how it would work through your rig, but the White Face mode on the JHS PackRat is, for me, the ideal RAT tone. I don't know it it's identical to original WF (I've not played one), but I think it's awesome.

sonatamachine

I was going to say Turbo Rat, but I think the LED clipping sounds less compressed. The "Dirty" variant sounds a bit more fuzzy.

I am happy with the Eno Myomorpha since it does both LM308 and LED/Turbo tones (same as Mooer Black Secret et al.).

The Little Bear R. Attack has a germanium diode (Dirty Rat) mode as well, but it added bass and mine had QC issues.
Would you say the turbo has less fizz to it? I'm looking for something 'smooth' with enough gain to make things sing without imparting that annoying top end that's common with higher gain pedals. I'm not sure if the turbo or the dirty would fair better against the Rat2.

vindrewski

I've gone through more Rat variants than I can count. Other than being partial to Turbos, I don't think the one you choose matters all that much. Of the countless ones I've tried I stuck with the first for me - a BYOC Mouse. The only other one I kept was a Mooer Black secret, mainly for the turbo option. Unless you're a Rat nerd and looking for something very very specific, I don't think you can go wrong. (And don't buy into the LM308 hype, either *ducks chair flying at head*)

sonatamachine

I've gone through more Rat variants than I can count. Other than being partial to Turbos, I don't think the one you choose matters all that much. Of the countless ones I've tried I stuck with the first for me - a BYOC Mouse. The only other one I kept was a Mooer Black secret, mainly for the turbo option. Unless you're a Rat nerd and looking for something very very specific, I don't think you can go wrong. (And don't buy into the LM308 hype, either *ducks chair flying at head*)
I'm definitely gearing for a new one. I don't buy into all the chip mojo..from the clips I've heard, the turbo sounds great. But then again, so do the rest of them...

Tomo El Gato

Would you say the turbo has less fizz to it? I'm looking for something 'smooth' with enough gain to make things sing without imparting that annoying top end that's common with higher gain pedals. I'm not sure if the turbo or the dirty would fair better against the Rat2.

On any version of Rat, you can effectively get rid of any fizz and make the tone as smooth as you can handle by using the Filter control.

Tung-Sol Tube

I think so, but that could be because of my filter settings. I find the regular rat to be quite smooth with the filter set high. I don't think mine sounds "fizzy" unless the filter is at minimum.

Nigel Davenport

Silver Supporting Member
Well I would say the CMATMods Ratified but I just checked and the only one on Reverb is 199.00 :oops::oops: I got mine for 65.00 a few years back. If I was going to get a new Rat clone I'd prob go for a Walrus Audio Iron Horse.

greendc30

Silver Supporting Member
JAM Rattler LTD. Made me love the Rat circuit. YMMV. ‍♂️

Last edited:
Well I would say the CMATMods Ratified but I just checked and the only one on Reverb is 199.00 :oops::oops: I got mine for 65.00 a few years back. If I was going to get a new Rat clone I'd prob go for a Walrus Audio Iron Horse.
fwiw, I've contemplated selling my CMATmod Ratified if anyone becomes interested? I can even throw it up on my Reverb page. I'm in no rush though, just something I've thought about doing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom