Rat Variants: Which One to Choose?

nlopez

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Fat Rat and A/B it with the Ratified. I sent the FR back. I then got a Vermin (How do they make money with those prices?i!) I think it does a great job too!
I went through the 80s without playing a Rat, so I dont have the nostalgia most folks have.

PhuzzphayzZ

ok- I'm NOT hearing any criticism of ANY RAT pedal... am I to assume that anything that 'gets the job done' does the job... which... is... any one?

what about

ProCo SOLO?

Blurillaz

From what you described, consider trying a Turbo Rat variant. Much more gain on tap, yet much less compressed. Though with the TS into Rat maybe you want the compression.

PhuzzphayzZ

just looked- there's no way I'm gettin any full sized rattish....i mean...right? surely there's a TurboMini? lol... I mean... I'm not trrrryin to be PBF but RAT enclosures- right now in my life- just makes it harder lol.... I need less hassle lol....

(I sent my rattish in for fixin....months ago....gulp.....)

hippieboy

By far my favorite is alpha dog, what a marvelous pedal that is, my favorite dist pedal as well.

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
How's the Wampler Ratsbane thingy they came out with? Haven't seen one yet.

It sounds like a rat but a little fuller in bass. This seems to be a Wampler signature thing. It does not mean it does not cut, but when comparing it to my old whiteface, R2DUs and JAM Rattler it is fuller. Great for boosting with gain set low (which is what I do with all of my rats, I don't use them as distortions), has almost this Klon-style fattening effect for single coils, but of course nastier and grittier.

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Fat Rat and A/B it with the Ratified. I sent the FR back. I then got a Vermin (How do they make money with those prices?i!) I think it does a great job too!
I went through the 80s without playing a Rat, so I dont have the nostalgia most folks have.
This, I sold the fat rat (had both chips) and stopped looking because the Ratified is just that good.

I'll preface this by saying that I never thought I would find myself loving Rats. I tried a Rat2 when I was a kid first picking up a guitar and ran it through some POS amp, and I absolutely hated it. That fuzzy distortion tone completely overwhelmed the speaker, and I was out. Fast forward over a decade, and I've gotten to try the Rat again through digital emulations. I've been blown away. Now I know I have to have a physical unit for my board, but I'm not sure what I should go with. I'm looking to use it for a gained out lead tone. The Rat alone gets me about 90% of the way to my 'ideal tone' and boosting with a TS gets me about 95% of the way there. I'm looking for just a little less fizz in the highs while still getting that same level of distortion and compression. I was wondering if any of the other rat variants would do the lead thing better than the 'normal' silicon circuits. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'd recommend a Drunk Beaver Heavy Bat. It's the RAT to rule or rats IMO, with 8 diodes and 4 op amps to choose from, and two channels to get all your tones on the fly! Also, you get a switchable Boss HM2 style EQ too, if you need it, and a Blend knob, which goes from full dry (clean) to full wet.

It's an incredibly powerful and well designed pedal with NOS components, a must-have for me! Here's mine, hope it inspires! :beer

Top Bottom