RAT vs. Digitech DF-7 = No Contest!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kramerlover, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kramerlover

kramerlover Axe Marauder Silver Supporting Member

OK... I HAD to try it. I read (here on tgp) that a Digitech DF-7 had a RAT setting that "sounds just like a RAT". The following is just my humble opinion. I am not trying to start a war or claim to be an authority on ANYTHING... just a guy with an opinion.

I have been playing through a RAT pedal since 1984. I still have my original "Whiteface" RAT that I estimate has been used on over 6,000 gigs in the past 28 years. I have picked up a few more RAT pedals along the way as well. I am pretty familiar with the many tone choices one has with the RAT.

So I see a lightly used DF-7 on eBay and decided to give it a spin through a couple amp/guitar combinations to compare it with the RAT. I play Crook guitars through a variety of amps including a Marshall Vintage Modern 100 watt head through the Marshall VM 425A 100 watt cab, a 1979 Mesa Boogie 100/60 watt combo with an EV-Mesa Black Shadow, a Silverface Fender Twin (with replacement Jensen speakers), a Silverface Fender Pro Reverb with stock Fender speakers, a 1994 Fender Tweed Blues Deluxe (stock), and a 1994 Fender Tweed Blues Jr. w/ a Weber "Jensen-ish" speaker.

Now I will say that the DF-7 is a nice pedal for the price (I paid under $50 including the shipping) and has many options regarding distortion pedal models. I only have spent much time with #4 - which is supposed to model a RAT.

At a very low volume, I was almost convinced that the DF-7 could sound like the RAT. Then I started playing a "gig volume"... WOW! No contest! The RAT remains smooth and silky while the DF-7 sounds brittle and harsh. The DF-7 has more tone control dials, but I could not find that "sweet spot" like I can dial in with the RAT. No matter which guitar/amp combination I tried, I came up with my preference for the RAT.

Has anyone else tried this same A/B comparison?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

I've been wanting to do this same comparison myself. Did you happen to notice how the DF-7 responds to backing off on the guitar volume? Does it clean up in a natural way?

3. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Now buy an VFE Alpha Dog and do the same comparison! Mucho gracias por favor. Its a damned Digitech...what were you expecting!??? Its like people trying to convince themselves over line 6 ****, but once you play it with a band and live it goes in the crapper.

4. kramerlover

kramerlover Axe Marauder Silver Supporting Member

No... same harshness even with less guitar signal gain. :puh