Rat vs. Keeley Rat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Siciliancameleon, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

Hey everyone!

A few months ago, I traded a dunlop classic wah for my friend's beat up rat (He plays bass and got a bass big muff...). Its sounded pretty good and I was impressed because my previous rat didnt sound nearly as good. Last night, I flipped it over and to my pleasant surprise, foudn the serial number to be below 300,000!

Keeley can mod it for $65.

What are the sound differences? Right now, I like the lower gain settings and the cleanup, but its a little brittle sounding sometimes. Will the Keeley mod smooth this out? Also, does the keeley mod improve the bypass?

Thanks!

2. blam

blam Member

i had a keeley modded RAT. a newer one without the LM308. and it was keeley modded to have the LM308. i didn't like one bit. it was choppy harsh and brittle throughout. either the keeley mod sucks or the keeley mod was not done by keeley and was poorly done.

I have a RAT whiteface reissue now and I enjoy that.

3. cribcage

cribcage Member

I sent mine to Keeley and it worked out great. But for me, the appeal was less about smoothing the sound and more about the toggle options. I use my RAT differently than you: My lower-gain pedal is a TS9, and the RAT is my go-to for extra dirt. Keeley added a couple flavors that the pedal didn't have before...and unlike some other pedals' knobs and switches, I can honestly say that's one toggle that I do use.

4. telepunk

telepunk Member

Mine is a regular Rat 2 modded in the following way and it does low gain surprisingly. I don't use it for low gain, but it does a good job of everything from low gain to screaming distortion. I keep the filter knob almost all the way up though. The mods are:

The original LM308N has been added.

C2 has been replaced with a .0047uF capacitor to give the pedal more bass response and more range with the filter knob.
    This mod is from AMZ Ebook at muzique dot com

Also the C7 2.2uf capacitor was removed rather than having the resistor cut (Ruetz Mod),this way it can be put back easily if you want.

The opamp might be a little tricky to switch, but the other two things are not difficult to do. I don't have any desire for the 3-way switch and I don't feel like I need a bunch of components replaced like Keeley does. If you know someone who can solder or if you can you could do the above mods yourself for around $10 or less probably.

5. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

I have an early chinese rat that has a number a bit under 300,000. Does yours say "Made In USA" on it? If not, it could still be a Chinese rat. I had mine Keeley modded but still didn't like it. They subsequently changed the gain pot and coupling capacitor and it made it a whole lot better, but right now I prefer my Black Plague for all my Rat duties!

6. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

What did the Ruetz mod do tonally?

BTW-awesome pedalboard, how does the blackstone overdrive sound compared to something like a fulldrive?

7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

It definitely sounds better, worth it imo.

I've got one of those WF reissues that came out a year or so ago, best sounding Rat I've had so far.