Rat without a tube screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Mar 27, 2015.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

Every so often, I start a thread like this. It's been a while so I like to see what's out there. I'm in a cover band playing mostly classic rock, pop, some more modern stuff, but nothing crazy heavy. Zeppelin, foo fighters, guns and roses, etc...

After trying so many different distortions, I always come back to my RAT which I've had for twenty years. As a matter of fact, when trying out other pedals, I instinctively set them up to sound like my RAT. I've often used a tube screamer of some sort into the rat to add some gain, sustain, etc.. for leads. But lately I'm kind of bored with that, and have been interested in trying some clean boosts. The RAT has a good upper midrange to cut through nicely without another mid heavy pedal.

So, I'm looking for something that I can run into the RAT to give me a little more sustain, touch sensitivity, fullness, without being too muddy. I tried a few different compressors, but I'm not crazy about the way they interact with the RAT. I'm leaning heavily toward the fulltone fat-boost. The EP Booster gets a lot of love here also. I've tried the MXR Micro Amp, but it didn't really add much of anything. I don't mind coloration.

Of course, I've tried just setting up the RAT to have more gain instead of juicing it with another pedal, but my sweetspot with the RAT for me is below noon on the gain dial, and I'm just not getting that big lead sound with only the RAT. I'm playing a PRS, Strat into a Deluxe Reverb set clean. And as I said before, I can't seem to dump the RAT altogether, so I'd like to find it a partner to enhance our relationship.

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

The barber super sport sounds incredible into a rat.

3. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

4. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

I place a Jetter Helium after the Rat with great results. I find that it makes the Rat a bit more organic and warm sounding without losing its sound.

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Two things that have worked for me... Prescription Electronics Germ before the Rat (two channel boost/OD), and a Giggity after the Rat. The Giggity is a wonderful thing, btw, for fine-tuning your tone without substantially altering it. It might work in front of the Rat too, but I've never actually tried it.

6. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

How about a Green Rhino or a Red Llama?