Ratdog backline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Whiskeyrebel, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

A friend at work saw a recent Ratdog show. He described the speaker cabs one of their guitarists was using. The speakers have elaborate chromed grilles similar to the sun's face on a sundial or grandfather clock. He asked whether I knew who makes them or if they were custom built. My first thought was Visual Sound but he checked out a picture of those and says that was not it.

2. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Not sure who made the cabs, but they are tone tubby speakers and orange county choppers did the grills. He is also playing a Savage amp now.
    See here

3. thetone

thetone Member

I saw them last week in Cleveland. Bobby was using a Savage head (he changed the name to read Savant) and the dual orange county chopper cabs. He fiddled around (altogether too much if you ask me for all the good it did) with the settings on a Vox ToneLab floor gizmo. There was also an AC30 off to the side (in from of Cimenti's B-3) but I couldn't tell if Bobby, Karan or anyone was using it. Bobby also used a 335 - looked like a custom shop.

Karan had his usual Two Rock (don't know which model?) but he also had a Marshall without the name on it (probably a clone?). He had a TTE on top of the Marshall and also a Variac (I don't see those on stage too often). He played an SG with the side to side vibrola - I don't think they make those in the custom shop so must be an original?

The drummer used electric toms and floor tom. I thought that detracted from their sound. Either that or a lousy mix at the HOB.

4. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Love Bobby's custom chrome grille. Saw it last week and thought it looked very stylish. If it has a function as well even better. I bet they cost bundle.

5. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

Bob Weir's speakers are made by Hard Truckers.

http://www.hardtruckers.com/

They have built him several cabinets. This is the latest incarnation of the legendary Hard Truckers company from the early Dead years.

Weir's main cabs are the 12's with the chopper motif that are referenced on the artist page (no pics though) of the Hardtruckers website.
    http://www.hardtruckers.com/artists.html

7. Zim

Zim Member

Beat me to it!

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

Right on dude! I love Ratdog. Since they added Robin Sylvester the band has really come together. Wasserman is a great player, but Sylvester was the missing key. He really holds down the bottom real well. I'll be seeing them next week in B-more.