Rate of Return

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarist, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

What percentage of the guitars you've purchased have you returned? And what do guitar shops do with returns? (besides mark up the price and put them in a glass box LOL)

2. PixMix

PixMix Member

I returned a Gibson LP Traditional to a GC. I picked it up in a store, never opened the box in the store, decided to come home (5 min of driving) to unbox and try. I was expecting a 2013 Standard in honey burst, but got a Trad. So it went back, and it hung in the store's wall for a few months, 6 or 7 at least. At some point they put it on clearance for quite cheap (don't remember the exact price), and it still didn't fly. Somebody must have bought it at some point.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I have returned one in all 70+ instruments purchased. It was a used bass that went back on the rack and sold about 5 days later.

4. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Once in 30 guitars or so. A Gretsch Setzer. It was a pretty cool guitar, but it had cost twice what any other guitar I owned had cost, and in my mind needed to take over the #1 spot to stay. Within 48 hours I knew that it would never pass the #3 spot, so I took it back.

The guitar sold about 6 months later.

5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Zero. Never returned anything, but I've only bought one new guitar in my life. There have been some used guitars and amps that I turned over in a couple months, but with most of those I didn't buy them with the intention of making them long term additions to the stable.

6. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

I've never returned a guitar in the 45 years of playing.

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I buy mostly used from private sellers, so not much in the way of a return policy. I've only ever returned one new guitar bought from a store.

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If I buy a guitar from MF, GC, or any bix box retailer, they are nice enough to give you 30-45 days totry out the guitar.

While I can judge the basics of any guitar in a short period of time, I like to play them in a band setting to really see how the guitar responds in an actual playing situation.

Based on my findings there, I then decide whether or not to keep a guitar. I have returned 2 or so guitars based on this. I have returned others based on a truss rod not working, or extremely poor build, or broken parts upon receiving it.

9. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

I've purchased about 20 guitars, and haven't ever returned one. I've luckily never bought a new guitar that was defective, and have never bought a used guitar that was not as described. Anything I've really not gotten along with, I've sold.

10. Valus

Valus Member

I've only ever returned one guitar, a Sterling by Musicman AX40 that had a locking nut that was a dramatically different radius than the fretboard, making it impossible to play first position chords in tune. After taking it to a luthier and a lot of back and forth with their service department, I took it back to GC.

11. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I returned an Orange amp I bought used from GC. It was broken.

12. monty

monty Member

In all my years of playing just one. Bought it on my way out of the store and didn't bond with it at all and brought it back 2 days later.

13. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Zero. Never returned any new or used gear except for items that were obviously defective or just not to my liking (specifically effects pedals, in this instance). Guitars and amps I've always kept in the rotation, or sold.

14. ixnay

ixnay Member

All online retailers that I know of knock at least 10-20% off of returns and mark them as open box, used, b-stock, scratch & dent, etc. I've gotten some pretty good deals (when I was able to haggle another 20% or so off of the return price) on returns and could find nothing wrong with just about all of them.

15. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

None in almost 40 years of buying.