Rattle and Hum

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hurley3038, Feb 23, 2012.

1. hurley3038

hurley3038 Member

Not too crazy about U2 but I just watched Rattle and Hum on Palladia.

Pretty Awesome.

2. monty

monty Member

Saw it at the theater when I was a kid.
    Loved it!

3. jhvox

jhvox Member

Great movie. The transition from B&W to color really worked for me.

4. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Fun fact : my parents and I lived in an apartment complex a block away from Sun Devil Stadium back then. I remember sitting outside on the walkway and listening to that concert, which was plenty loud enough to hear from there.

5. shane88

shane88 Member

u2 kinda disowned it after a while - if u take the rose colored glasses off it's got it's share of clangers - anyway they chopped that and the joshua tree down with achtung baby and zoo tv - it's great failure is how ernest it is

6. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Disagree! That LP is full of fire and electricity. I'm not even a big U2 fan, but they slay in that movie.

I'll take some slightly embarrassing earnest rock 'n' roll over smug self-consciously ironic pop contemporary any day

7. shane88

shane88 Member

hey i'm just paraphrasing what u2 themselves said - don't shoot me

8. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ it's OK, there are some cringeworthy moments in it -- like the "Miami Vice" looking manager dude trying to 'conduct' the choir in a Harlem church

9. shane88

shane88 Member

yeah there's way more good than bad :p ....... some of their best songs

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I never cared much for 80s light pop like U2 but I do like the album Rattle and Hum. They almost got a bit of rock flavor in it.

11. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That was the record that did it for me. I kind of thought U2 were meh... a few good songs but mostly not my thing. Then Rattle and Hum - live versions of Pride and Bullet - made me serioulsy reconsider. It was like a bolt of electric reality in a bunch of heavy metal crapola. I remember exactly where I was when I heard it on the radio and I was hooked instantly. Couldn't believe it was U2. Ran out and bought the album- the vinyl. Heartland and God Part 2 made me a fan. All I Want Is You made me a fanatic. Great album - great movie. And to go from that to the astounding reinvention of themselves with Achtung... unbelievable. It nearly never happens - but when it does you gotta give props. And U2 gets the mad props.

12. shane88

shane88 Member

i've followed u2 since the second album & they have achieved so much - still the orig line up and throughout their career have always produced interesting music and so many great songs and changed the face of concert production and haven't become a parody act playing just their old songs .......

13. sws1

sws1 Member

Love Rattle and Hum, both the CD and the movie.

My only complaint is that the audio in the movie is 50x better than the CD. The bass on Helter Skelter is almost non-existent on the CD, but in the movie, it is thuderours.

14. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

same with me
    I remember being disappointed that "streets have no name" "with without ou" live versions were NOT on the album...
    And then Half way through the movie (which I had enjoyed up to that point) I thought "great, there not on the movie either"...and then the tempe arizona color footage began...It was awesome

When "streets" opening organ chords began, the movie audience clapped...

it was a great movie...they tried a little to hard, over-earnest...but the live footage was phenominal!

15. Antelope

Antelope Member

I really like that scene where The Edge is playing that White Falcon unaccompanied. I can't recall the name of the song he's playing, but I always liked it.

16. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I thought Bono was so cool in R&H, loved his look and his vocals, great movie.

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Love the movie still, although it's pompous at times and I agree with the band's "disowning" of it in some ways.

Can't get through the CD anymore, though. I just can't. I tried again last week and ended up skipping to "Pop", which they've also kinda disowned for the most part, and I think that CD is underrated.

18. Vibro

Vibro Member

That would be Van Diemen's land. One if my favorites too, love the tone he gets there.

19. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

When I first started working in a record shop Rattle & Hum just came out on video. The store manager played it to death & I can quote along with the whole thing now I'm sure.... But still its pretty good & I am not a U2 fan. Credit where it's due.

20. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

loved God Part 2, but otherwise... meh.