Rattlesnake cables?

Qstick333

I decided to go with EBS gold patch cables for the bulk of my pedalboard re-wiring project but need a few custom length cables to keep things tidy.

Has anyone had any dealings with Rattlesnake or is there someplace else I should be looking?

Thanks!

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't. I don't know much about them besides I somehow ended up on their spam list (probably entered some dumb contest) and they send 'promotional' emails just about every day. Which kind of turns me off from them.
I recently did the same thing, I wired my board with the taylormade flat patch cables, and needed just a few custom lengths. I ended up buying a Boss Solderless kit from SDOTD, and while it's not fancy, it works plenty fine for my needs.
I'm sure others will have more suggestions. That's just my $.02

Qstick333

I haven't. I don't know much about them besides I somehow ended up on their spam list (probably entered some dumb contest) and they send 'promotional' emails just about every day. Which kind of turns me off from them.
I recently did the same thing, I wired my board with the taylormade flat patch cables, and needed just a few custom lengths. I ended up buying a Boss Solderless kit from SDOTD, and while it's not fancy, it works plenty fine for my needs.
I'm sure others will have more suggestions. That's just my $.02
Thanks for the reply. A spam mailing list would turn me off too. I just want to spend money and be left alone.

I’ll look into the solderless cables. I tried the Lava set about a decade ago and swore I’d never do that again.

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply. A spam mailing list would turn me off too. I just want to spend money and be left alone.

I’ll look into the solderless cables. I tried the Lava set about a decade ago and swore I’d never do that again.
Yeah, I'm scared of solderless. This is my first dip in that pool, and so far so good. But the custom lengths were for very specific pedals/purposes, so they're not moving around or getting unplugged/plugged in a lot. I don't know if I'd go solderless if I were constantly rearranging!

Rattlesnake cables are probably good. Just my experience with their mailing list has turned me off. They seem to have a good reputation, though. I'm sure there are others here who use them and can say one way or the other.

jkr

Silver Supporting Member
I had a great experience ordering from Rattlesnake cables. I have two of their speaker cables and they are amazing. The customer service was great when I dealt with them.

jhumber

My main guitar -> board cable has been a Rattlesnake 12ft with the 'snakehead' option. Really impressed, sounds great, feels very durable - would definitely buy from them again.

TheoDog

Supporting Member
It’s hard to imagine Rattlesnake cables are bad. I mean it’s Mogami wire soldered to Switchcraft plugs. The same as 95% of all boutique cables available with fancy packaging worthy of premium prices.
Covenant Cables and Colorful Weapon do the same and prices are a bit more reasonable. Redco does custom length as well.

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a bunch, they work well and seem solid. They do send a lot of emails, though.
Yeah, I just checked to see if maybe I had them mistaken for some other email-frenzied organization. So, I was right that it is Rattlesnake that sends an inordinate amount of emails. But I was wrong when I said it was near-daily. It seems they send on average 2-3 a week. I didn't exaggerate intentionally- it just seemed that way, probably because when they're having a sale or promotion they will sometimes send them every day, saying "LAST CHANCE!" or "Only 10 Hours Left". And they also will send two emails in the same day during promotions.

Again, I'm not speaking on the quality of their work- I'm sure it's good. You'd have to go out of your way to really screw the pooch with Mogami and Switchcraft. And I bet their customer service is probably great- it seems like they have someone dedicated to staying on top of the email situation!

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
It’s hard to imagine Rattlesnake cables are bad. I mean it’s Mogami wire soldered to Switchcraft plugs. The same as 95% of all boutique cables available with fancy packaging worthy of premium prices.
Covenant Cables and Colorful Weapon do the same and prices are a bit more reasonable. Redco does custom length as well.
Rattlesnake does not use Mogami cable. They use a braided shield cable which Mogami does not make. The cable Rattlesnake uses is supposedly made in the US of which there are only 3 cable manufacturers in the States if I recall correctly. I don’t know if their cables are proprietary or not as any cable manufacturer makes cables for many companies. I should say, there are many cable companies that will make custom cables but that doesn’t mean the cables they use are their own, there is a difference. The likes of Belden, Canare, Mogami are manufactured at their own facilities but companies such as Rattlesnake May or may not just buy from a cable manufacturer and sell just that. They just add the Techflex, plugs and heatshrink to distinguish their branded cable. A good example is when Vertex claimed they have their own cable when all along, it was just a Belden cable with Techflex, Neutrik plugs and heatshrink. Companies such as Evidence Audio have proprietary cable made in America by one of the cable manufacturers all to their own specs. So there is a difference.

chadmo1

I have 2 cables from them, one goes from my guitar to my board and the other from my board to the amp. I bought them a couple years ago when I got a sale email (they send emails almost daily). The are solid and well built.

TheoDog

Supporting Member
Thanks for clarifying @jnepo1
My main point is that the majority of boutique builders are really just putting together components available to the general consumer and dolling them up with packaging and inflated costs. Much the same as the market for upgrade wiring harnesses.

nlopez

Supporting Member
Hank has a great product and even greater customer service. I am on the mailing list and I don't get too many emails.

jnepo1

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for clarifying @jnepo1
My main point is that the majority of boutique builders are really just putting together components available to the general consumer and dolling them up with packaging and inflated costs. Much the same as the market for upgrade wiring harnesses.
Correct. There’s a difference between though between a company such as Rattlesnake, Covenant Cables and Evidence Audio. They may be classified as boutique builders but some have their own proprietary cables and some do not.